Indie Pogo Bounces out New Trailer with Homages to Bit Trip Runner, Velocispider, and More
Indie Pogo is about as indie as indie can get. It’s incredibly self aware, rooted in retro style and design, has a modern twist with gameplay, and has tons of references to other indie games. Developer Lowe Bros. Studios has cram-packed this auto-jumping brawler with numerous fighters from other series including Shutshimi, VVVVVV and Bit.Trip Runner. The game will be coming to PC with a general ‘2017’ release date.
Taking cues from Super Smash Bros, Indie Pogo is a arena fighting game with retro 2D graphics. The big gimmick here is that your character will be forever locked in a jumping pattern: It’s not hard to see where they go their title from.
Characters have various moves including upwards and downwards spikes and unique supermoves. The goal is to knock your opponent out of the stadiums (each referencing a classic series) off the sides or down the various pits located everywhere.
The roster is made up of 40+ characters from indie games all over. A list of some of the titles used are:
- Rain Games – Teslagrad
- Terry Cavanagh – VVVVVV
- Halfbot Studios – The Blocks Cometh
- Etienne & Simon Perin – Zorbie
- Retro Dreamer – Velocispider
- Aurelien Regard – The Next Penelope
- Dream’s Bell – Jack the Reaper
- Pastagames – Pix the Cat
- Megastorm Games – Skyhook
- Ackk Studios – Two Brothers
- Guts Division – Aegis Defenders
- Pixelscopic – Delver’s Drop
- AlphaSix – Joylancer
- Aheartfulofgames – Heart&Slash
- Adventure Islands – Super Dangerous Dungeons
- TreeFortress – JumpJet Rex
- Christophe Galati – Save Me Mr. Tako!
- Colin Lane & Folmer Kelly – Wrassling
- Turtle Blaze – Intergalactic Road Warriors
- Onagro Studios – Moira
- Rage Squid – Action Henk
- [url]]Space Beagles – Butt Sniffin’ Pugs
- Andrew Morrish – Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe
- Nitrome – Leap Day android – iphone
- Neon Deity Games – Shütshimi
While the fact you can eat up and poop out other characters might be all you need to know, some other features include:
- Unique characters and stages from your favorite indie titles
- Fun and simple combo system
- Match customization (HP & Stock, Time, Stage Hazard Toggle, etc.)
- Tight and balanced mechanics
- 4-Player Local Multiplayer
- Online Multiplayer (Through Steam)
- XInput Support with player controller profiles
Indie Pogo has been accepted through Steam’s Greenlight process and is now in the process of being prepared for full release. You can follow Lowe Bros. Studios’ progression (and ability to have so many small dev friends) on their official Twitter.
The announcement video is just a bounce away: