While Sucker Punch will release inFAMOUS: First Light in August, little is known about their next full game, but they’ve been working on strengthening their development team since the release of inFAMOUS; Second Son.
Today the studio published a new career opportunity ad giving a few pointers on what we can expect from the future on the crucial field of mission design:
Sucker Punch is looking for a Lead Mission Designer who shares our passion for pushing creative limits and redefining expectations about what games can be. A successful candidate will have mastered blending game mechanics and storytelling techniques to create powerful game experiences, and will have demonstrated excellent communication skills and the ability to work effectively on a large cross-disciplinary team. Team leadership experience is expected, with a proven track record of high quality results.
Our goal with each game we make is to create deep and meaningful player experiences, and this means creating innovative and immersive missions and gameplay. The Lead Mission Designer is the focal point for this process, collaborating with the rest of the design and narrative teams to weave missions together into something unforgettable.
- Be the driving creative force behind mission development.
- Collaborate effectively and positively with other teams to lead the development of missions that are polished in appearance and gameplay.
- Create tasks with clear deadlines across multiple missions.
- Guide each team member mission by mission ensuring that the story is delivered in a cohesive manner and the game is properly balanced.
- Provide daily feedback and direction to drive constant, rapid iteration by mission designers to ensure that the missions meet the quality bar, support the design vision, and highlight the core mechanics.
- Champion designed levels through the production process, by running playtests, iterating, taking feedback, and showcasing the experiences.
- Help refine mission design processes, documentation, pipelines, and propose new tool ideas.
- Provide leadership, mentorship and performance management for the mission design team, developing their skills and career while managing them to excellent results.
- Communicate and coordinate across multiple disciplines to constantly refine the concept-to-ship mission creation process.
- Work closely with the Project Directors and other Leads to ensure quality across the game.
- Continuously strive to push the quality bar higher.
Mission design in inFAMOUS: Second Son was already definitely good, but looks like Sucker Punch is aiming even higher with their new games. When I talked to the studio co-founder Brian Fleming just before the release of Delsin Rowe’s Seattle romp, he told me they didn’t have any idea yet about what their next game would be. By now, they probably have a more clear vision of the future.
Considering that they work only on a single game at a time, it’ll be interesting to see what they’ll do next.