Is Jonathan Groff The New Agent Smith In Matrix 4 Resurrections?
The new trailer has some clues!
A brand new trailer for Matrix Resurrections has dropped in. And fans are wondering if Jonathan Groff is the new Agent Smith in Matrix 4.
In the second trailer, we get to see Neo (Keanu Reeves) trying to decode this strange world once again and he has memories from his past. And those memories are tied to both Agent Smith and Morpheus.
Even though both Hugo Weaving and Laurence Fishburne were not present in the first Matrix 4 trailer, we did know that Yahya Abdul-Mateen II is the younger Morpheus. However, we didn’t get to see much into Groff’s character until now.
The second trailer for Matrix Resurrections jumps back and forth between two realities for Neo and also gives us clues about Jonathan Groff’s character.
- MORE: The Matrix Online Story And The Death Of Morpheus Explained
New Agent Smith In Matrix Resurrections
Even though the new trailer doesn’t say it outright, but there are several clues suggesting that Jonathan Groff will be the new Agent Smith in Matrix 4.
There are several deja vu moments in the trailer that act as references from the Matrix trilogy. All the characters in this movie — right from Trinity to Morpheus — can be heard quoting lines from the past. It is definitely related to the “strange, repeating loops” that Morpheus says we’re all trapped in. Here are some instances of it:
- The same line “Millions of people just living out their lives…oblivious” spoken by Hugo Weaving’s Agent Smith in the original Matrix movie is repeated once again in the trailer
- Resurrections, only it isn’t Weaving delivering the monologue this time, but the sinister villain played by Jonathan Groff (Mindhunter).
- Jonathan Groff can be heard referring to Neo as “Mr. Anderson” in the exact same manner as old Smith.
- We see Groff pulling out a pistol to take a shot at Neo — a scene that reminds of the Agent
- The scene where Groff is soaked rhymes with the Morpheus scenes from the first movie
- There is another scene where Groff removes the mouth from his own face which reminds us of the scene where Smith did the same to Mr. Anderson in The Matrix
- The high rise building where Neo and Groff fight each other in the trailer is also a reminiscent of the 1999 movie
Why Does Agent Smith Have A Different Face In Matrix 4?
I am sure this one question may have crossed your mind simply because Agent Smith is not human but a sentient computer program that can replicate itself. So why does he have a new face that belongs to Jonathan Groff and why not bring Hugo Weaving to play the original Agent Smith?
Here’s a theory:
We do know that a program’s shell (i.e. physical appearance) could be compromised or altered from The Matrix Revolutions. So it is quite possible that after Neo ends Smith, the Machines only delete his shell and not his entire code. This could allow him to rebuild once again with time but with a different face.
But that being said, not everything in the Matrix is what it seems to be. So Jonathan Groff’s character could simply be a ruse but one thing is very clear from the trailer that Groff is playing someone who is familiar with the history between Agent Smith and Neo.
The Matrix Resurrections will be hitting the theaters on December 22 so it’s only a matter of time before all is revealed!