Knack 2 Gets New Screenshots and Details on Gameplay Changes, Story, and More
Last December, during PSX 2016, Sony Interactive Entertainment announced — to the surprise of many — Knack 2. However, since it’s announcement, details have been scarce on the sequel to the PS4 exclusive that launched alongside the PS4 back in 2013. Recently that changed.
Yesterday, a few outlets went live with previews of Knack 2: revealing a slab of new details and some new screenshots.
- There’s an easy mode that changes the way a lot of the levels are structured and creates a different path through the game to avoid the harder platforming sections. This was done in mind that the game will still be a “family-friendly” title.
- Like the first game, Knack 2 was built on a three-year development schedule, but the first game began with a much smaller team than the 60 currently working on the sequel.
- There are three difficulty levels.
- There’s no story explanation for the second Knack character on screen. Further, there’s not a moment where the second player isn’t involved.
- Knack 2 takes place about a year after the original game
- Its story centers on the destruction of Knack’s home city, and how Knack and friends fight back. The Goblins are back as the enemies.
The sequel is not just a brawler but also a platformer. As PS4 lead architect Mark Cerny (who’s also a legendary game designer and who is the designer of Knack) points out, the first Knack was much more focused on combat. Knack 2 — following feedback — will have plenty of sections with moving platforms and gameplay ideas borrowed from classic 2D platform games.
According to Cerny, for Knack 2, the team built it as a co-op experience from the beginning, rather than how it was in the first game, which Cerny describes as an “afterthought.”
Movesets are a lot larger, with a lot more combat moves.
There is a skilltree with 30-or-so moves and variants you can unlock.
Players are able to weaponize each other.
There’s first-person tank combat.
Has more checkpoints than the first game.
Knack 2 is slated to release for PS4 sometime in 2017. As you may know, Sony is planning on showcasing the game at E3 2017. Below, you can check out the new screenshots, courtesy of the above mentioned outlets: