League of Legends Season 2 Championship Prizes total $5 Million
Before continuing I’ll give you a moment to pick your jaw up off the floor after reading the title. Got it? Good. Riot Games has announced a prize pool of $5 million for this years League of Legends Season 2 championships that will be happening this Fall. This is the largest cash prize in gaming history, so you can bet it will be getting a lot of attention.
The prize pool for the regionals alone will be $3 million. Regionals will be held at conventions across the world leading up to the finals on October 13th in Los Angeles. Millions of people tuned in to watch the Season One championships last year, and this year’s seems like it will be even bigger. Continue reading for more details.
Season 2 first kicked off in November, and since then teams from around the world have been struggling for a chance to qualify in the regional championships. They will continue to fight it out all summer to determine which of them will make it into the following regional championships.
- Mainland China: July 26 – Shanghai, China at China Joy – 2 teams
- Europe: August 16 – Cologne, Germany at Gamescom – 3 teams
- North America: August 31 – Seattle, United States at PAX Prime – 3 teams
- Korea: September 21 – Seoul, Korea at the OGN eSports Stadium – 2 teams
- Taiwan/Hong Kong/Macau: September 22 – Taipei, Taiwan at G1 – 1 team
- Southeast Asia: September – Singapore at Garena Carnival – 1 team
We’ll bring you updates as Season 2 progresses, and if you’re still in the running, good luck!