The full patch notes for the 1.2 version patch can be found as follows:
- Players can use Pikmin-themed amiibo to unlock a Pikmin Suit for the Mii driver.
- Race rules and course name are now displayed on loading screens for online and wireless play, as well as Mario Kart TV.
- Players who are behind in online matches will receive items geared toward catching up more frequently.
- In online matches, no more than two Piranha Plants will be granted as items at the same time.
- Controls are no longer unresponsive when the timer runs out when choosing a Mii racing suit for online matches.
- When a player uses an item right after the Super Horn in online matches, that item will now remain available for other players.
- Item wheel no longer spins continuously in online matches.
- Online matches now end as intended 30 seconds after the first place racer finishes.
- The Boomerang now returns to the first slot, if possible, after a player catches it.
- Items shown in a player’s item slots now display correctly when holding an item behind them.
- No longer possible to use an item after it has been used to block an attack.
- Communication errors no longer occur frequently while spectating or after spectating online matches
In other Mario Kart 8 Deluxe news, this iteration of the famous racing series has become the fastest selling in the history of the franchise. Since releasing for the Switch in April, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has consistently topped the sales charts in various different regions.
If you’re interested in reading more about Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and you’re still on the fence in regards to purchasing the game for yourself, then be sure to check out our review. We gave the title an 8/10 which equates to a “great” on our scale. If you own a Switch and you’re looking to pick up one of the system’s premiere titles, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe should be near the top of your list.
As someone who has been playing a lot of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe online lately, these changes in the 1.2 version patch help alleviate some of my issues I have been having. Specifically, I’m glad to see that if I’m far behind in an online race, I might be able to receive some better items from now on. Lord knows I’ll need them because I’m terrible at the game.