Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle has definitely been one of the stranger titles to be announced (or confirmed due to all the rumors) at this year’s E3. This unexpected crossover had a lot of people wondering just how it exactly it would play and with the demonstration at Nintendo’s Treehouse presentation today, we have a better idea.
First the basics: the game will be releasing on August 29 of this year exclusively for the Switch. It marks a strange and hopefully long lasting partnership between Ubisoft and Nintendo with Miyamoto himself watching over the development of the game.
As for the gameplay, Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle mixes tactical strategy RPG elements with cover based shooting and puzzle based platforming. It’s a fittingly odd combination that actually looks quite fun and luckily we were given even more information. The game will feature the following:
AN EPIC JOURNEY STARRING EIGHT HEROES
- Embark with your team of heroes on an epic quest to free your friends and put the Mushroom Kingdom back in order!
- Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Yoshi will join forces with four Rabbids heroes, each with their own unique personalities: boastful Rabbid Mario, fearful Rabbid Luigi, sassy Rabbid Peach, and off-his-rocker Rabbid Yoshi.
- Explore four iconic worlds filled with chests and secrets, solve puzzles, and defeat unpredictable enemies on the battlefield.
A CRAZY TACTICAL ADVENTURE
- Mario and his friends will use never-before-seen weapons to engage in combat with their foes. With an arsenal of more than 250 weapons with unique statistics and specificities, players will choose how best to equip each of their eight heroes.
- Turn-based gameplay allows players to take the time they need to position their heroes and unleash their actions.
- Play additional co-op challenges with a friend in local multiplayer, featuring three levels of difficulty. Share a pair of Joy-Con™ controllers or use your Nintendo Switch™ Pro Controllers.
A FRESH MARIO EXPERIENCE
- Discover the Mushroom Kingdom like you never have before — twisted by the mischievous Rabbids!
- Experience a feel-good adventure filled with humor, epic music, vibrant animation, and colorful visuals, powered by the Snowdrop™ engine.
DESIGNED FOR NINTENDO SWITCH
- A game as appealing in handheld mode as on your TV screen.
- Play everywhere, and even on the go, thanks to short game sessions.
- Unlock new in-game features with your amiibo™ figures.
The story concerns the Mushroom Kingdom getting some unwanted visitors via a destructive and mysterious vortex. The land is in disarray and Rabbids are pouring out into all crevices. Many of these manic creatures are being controlled by an unknown force that was slightly mentioned in the gameplay demo. It’s up to Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Princess Peach and their bizarro Rabbid dopplegangers to save the land.
You can check out the announcement trailer from before and then go in for the long haul with the 20+ minute gameplay presentation below. There are also a bunch of photos to gaze upon; feel free to separate the Rabbid craziness from the Mushroom Kingdom order.