Marvel's Spider-Man Gets Tons of Info on Miles, Mary Jane, the Velocity Suit, Black Cat, and More
Insomniac Games and Marvel provided some juicy info about the characters and more elements of Marvel's Spider-Man for PS4.
During a livestream aired today from San Diego Comic-con, we heard more about Insomniac Games’ Marvel’s Spider-Man.
Creative Director Bryan Intihar, Marvel Games Executive Creative Director Bill Rosemann, and Peter Parker Actor Yuri Lowenthal provided some juicy info about the game.
- Silver Sable is played by Nichole Elise. She is on a different axis compared to Spider-Man and the villains, adding an “interesting and unexpected dynamic” to the game.
- The Sable Agents are from the same country Silver Sable hails from. They’re designed after her.
- Insomniac Games leaned into how Miles Morales is portrayed in the comics. He is basically a Spider-Man fanboy. Partnership is a big theme in the game, and the scene with Miles Morales and Mary Jane kicks that off. Peter is entering a different stage in his life and over the course of the game, we’ll see that even a superhero needs help from time to time.
- Lowenthal mentioned that the scenes with Miles are some of his favorites.
- Spider-Man speaks differently depending on whether he wears his mask or not, and on who he is talking to. If he talks to Mary Jane, even if he does as Spider-Man, he’s mostly “still Peter” but that doesn’t happen when he talks to someone else. When he is not wearing his mask he’s a little less confident and a bit more awkward. According to Intihar, this is very endearing. When he wears the mask, he is confident and in control.
- Insomniac respected the source material, but they still “weren’t afraid to mix it up.” That’s why they presented some characters in new ways. They looked at the background of Mary Jane and aimed to give her agency, to make her her own character, with her own agenda, and to place her in the middle of the drama and danger, which is why Intihar suggested to turn her into a reporter for the Daily Bugle. She also shows what is like not to have superpowers in a superhero world.
- Insomniac has shown a lot, but there is still “a metric ton of stuff that nobody knows about.” The game is “huge.”
- The newly-revealed Velocity Suit is another way in which the team innovated on the source material: it was designed with the idea of delivering something authentically-Marvel. It was designed by Adi Granov, who worked on the Ironman movies and helped design Black Panther’s new suit. He also created many of the covers of the Nova series of comic books and much more.
- The name of the Velocity Suit is a hint to the ability it provides.
- Black Cat will appear in the first installment of the DLC The City that Never Sleeps. Rosemann mentioned that it’ll be the team’s “own version of Black Cat.” All the villains have been designed to recall their classic looks in a modern and cool way that was never seen before.
- More hints to Black Cat may appear before the DLC launches in the main game.
- According to Rosemann, the team “refuses to fail.” It’s their responsibility to make it right. They have one shot, and can’t be the people that “worked with all this talent and PlayStation and messed it up.” They wanted to create excellence, and to use all the time they had wisely to make the game the greatest Spider-Man game of all time, the greatest Marvel game of all time, the greatest Insomniac game of all time, and the greatest video game of all time.
- The answer to “can we play as Miles Morales?” simply was “you’ll find out on September 7th.”
If you want to see more, you can also check out a brand new story trailer (and our analysis), and the console bundles and limited editions that will be released with the game.
Marvel’s Spider-Man releases on September 7th exclusively for PS4. You can already pre-order the newly-revealed limited edition PS4 Pro and the game on Amazon.