Mass Effect Andromeda Patch 1.08 Improves Character Creator; Adds Scott Ryder x Jaal Romance Option
BioWare is improving the character creator of Mass Effect Andromeda, and adding a romance option between male Ryder and Jaal with the next update.
Today BioWare announced that Patch 1.08 for Mass Effect Andromeda is in the pipeline, coming with some rather extensive changes.
The character creator of the game will be expanded, with two new heads (one per gender), and a new complexion option. All hairstyles will also be unlocked for both genders, complemented by the addition of a bald one.
If you already started the game, but still want to take advantage of the changes, the Tempest now comes with the ability to change your Ryder’s appearance. On top of that, you’ll be able to deactivate the features that causes Alec Ryder to reverse-inherit the looks of his son and daughter, retaining his default face.
On top of that, the option to romance the Angara squad mate Jaal has been added for Scott Ryder, due to “several important reasons” that you can read below:
“Scott Ryder did not have a same-sex squadmate available as a romance option, nor could the achievement for completing three romances be achieved with only male same-sex partners. And as the angara have expressed their fluidity in how they perceive gender, it seemed only natural that Scott could have a relationship with Jaal.
However, we understand that a character’s orientation is an important part of what makes them feel real. The relationships with your crew are some of the most loved and cherished parts of our games, so we wanted to make sure we got it right. We consulted with members of the LGBTQ community, both externally and within our own studios. After carefully considering all feedback, we decided this was an important change to make, and one that made sense for Jaal, Scott, and the angara.
Our writing, editing, and animation teams worked together to ensure this change made sense for Jaal’s character, and the result is a relationship we hope feels as fulfilling and memorable for Scott as it does for Sara.”
We also get the full patch notes, which include several more changes and fixes.
- Ryder’s appearance can now be changed onboard the Tempest
- Expanded the range of options available in the character creator
- Jaal can now be romanced by Scott Ryder
- Dialogue for Hainly Abrams was adjusted to change the flow of personal information she discusses with Ryder.
- Fixed issue with Nomad upgrades Shield Crafting quest
- Nexus level and cryo pod points are retroactively granted
- Vendors now carry weapon mods for Level 60-71 players
- Vendors now sell weapon augmentations for automatic fire, burst fire, and single-shot fire
- Improved clarity of descriptions for augmentations
- Plasma Charge system now works properly for shotguns
- Beam Emitter augmentation now causes guns to fire a constant beam with scaling damage based on the weapon’s damage per second
- [PC] Added experimental support for Dolby Vision™ technology
- Stealth Grid challenge now increments properly
- Fiend no longer sprints when within 10 meters of target, and will decelerate to base speed
- Enabled movement correction during Fiend attacks to reduce incidence of players seeing Fiends attacking in the wrong direction
- Improved movement prediction for some enemies in tight spaces to reduce appearance of teleportation
- Fixed issue that prevented melee attacks if the revive icon was near center screen
- Fixed issue where ammo pick-up audio incorrectly played
- Fixed issue where Backlash could malfunction while moving
- Using Stealth and Recon Visor together no longer increases duration of invisibility for Turian Agent
- Fixed issue where weight reduction modifications wouldn’t reduce weight
- The Revive Pack Transmitter now displays the revive radius in the loadout screen
- Equipping the Cobra RPG now interrupts reloading
- Player turns to Adhi when getting synced to avoid teleportation issue
- Fixed issue where enemies would occasionally enter T-pose when hit
- Improved visual and audio cues for player ready status in Multiplayer lobbies
- Added “Lights” option to customization options
These changes are part of a wider plan to update the game, that BioWare disclosed shortly after release.
Mass Effect Andromeda is currently available for PS4, Xbox One and PC, and if you’re not familiar with it, you can read our review.