Media Create Sales Charts: 3DS Prints Money, While Killer is Dead is Dead on Arrival in Japan
Like every Wednesday, it’s time for a glimpse on the Japanese video game market, as the Media Create Software and Hardware charts for the week between July the 29th and August the 4th have just been released.
Here’s the software top ten for your perusal:
- Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life – 3DS – 119,154 (119,154)
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Dual Destinies – 3DS – 40,203 (290,419)
- Mario & Luigi: Dream Team – 3DS – 32,537 (176,230)
- Tomodachi Collection: New Life – 3DS – 21,313 (1,330,780)
- Killer is Dead <Premium Edition> – PS3 – 17,709 (17,709)
- The Witch and the Hundred Knights – PS3 – 16,131 (65,340)
- MIND ≒ 0 – PS Vita – 15,575 (15,575)
- Youkai Watch – 3DS – 13,819 (115,119)
- Dragon’s Crown – PS Vita – 13,772 (84,855)
- Dragon’s Crown – PS3 – 13,714 (118,074)
Titles released this week are bolded, while lifetime sales are between parenthesis.
And here’s the hardware sales chart:
- 3DS LL – 57,940
- 3DS – 17,747
- Vita – 17,702
- PS3 – 11,743
- Wii U – 10,038
- PSP – 6,314
- Wii – 1,327
- Xbox 360 – 288
With the 3DS holding fast in the top two spots for hardware and 3DS games holding the first three places for software, we can safely say that the portable keeps printing money for Nintendo, balancing out the not exactly stellar performance of the Wii U, that is still losing ground even if it’s not yet down to pre-Pikmin 3 numbers. Luckily the release of Yakuza 1 & 2 HD should bolster it’s sales again next week.
On the other hand, it’s hard not to notice the extremely poor performance of Grasshopper Manufacture’s Killer is Dead, that seems to have failed to click with the Japanese audience and sold less than 18.000 units on PS3 in it’s debut week, while the Xbox 360 failed to even make the top 20. Mind you, Goichi Suda’s games have never been best sellers in Japan, so we can still hope to see the title sell better in the west, as it already happened in previous cases.
If you want to compare the new charts with last week’s you can find them here.