Samus Aran is making her long-awaited return on the Nintendo 3DS in the upcoming Metroid: Samus Returns later this year, and those that happen to have some of the Metroid amiibo (or plan to pick up the new figures later this year) will be able to unlock some helpful bonuses and more.
The official Japanese website for Metroid: Samus Returns has revealed some new information on amiibo compatibility with the 3DS title and the various Metroid figurines that have been released, and the new figurines coming this year. According to a translation from Japanese Nintendo, each of the four compatible amiibo will unlock either helpful bonus items that players can utilize in-game, or unlock other bonus features such as art/concept artwork galleries, a sound test feature, and more.
The full breakdown of the unlocks for each amiibo can be found below:
Samus Aran (Metroid Series)
- Elon Reserve Tank (special ability recovery)
- Metroid II Art Gallery (unlocked after beating game)
Metroid (Metroid Series)
- Metroid Marker (tells you location of nearest Metroid)
- FUSION Difficulty Mode (unlocked after beating game)
Samus Aran (Super Smash Bros. Series)
- Missile Reserve Tank (missile recovery)
- Concept Art Gallery (unlocked after beating game)
Zero Suit Samus (Super Smash Bros. Series)
- Energy Reserve Tank (energy recovery)
- Sound Test (unlocked after beating game)
Metroid: Samus Returns will release for Nintendo 3DS on September 15th, 2017.