Deck-Building RPG Monster Slayers Shuffles onto Steam
While rogue-likes are becoming a dime a dozen in the indie PC scene, deck-building games are still moderately used. Monster Slayers is hoping to change this up with its release on Steam yesterday. The hybrid RPG is currently on sale for $8.99 USD (with a 10% early-bird incentive until Marcg 30) for those looking to build up their decks with adventure.
Developed by Nerdook Productions, the game is actually a ‘completely reimagining’ of an early, web-based release. Speaking of earlier titles, Steam users that own the devs other games (Vertical Drop Heroes HD and Reverse Crawl) will receive a 23% off ‘loyalty discount’ for Monster Slayers. This can be combined with the early-bird pricing and also expires on March 30.
The story features the adventures of a Monster Slayers Guild that band together to take down the evil Harbringer. The procedural levels of the Northern Valley are full of enemies to slay; you’ll have to balance your best cards and create adaptive decks to make it through.
The press release also detailed the following features:
- attle undead goblins, lion outlaws, mighty dragons and other monstrous foes using a unique card-based combat system
- Strategically shape your deck as you acquire new cards from merchants, treasure chests, and allies
- Collect fame from each run to unlock new abilities that can be used by future heroes
- Every playthrough is different: levels, enemy encounters and loot are randomly generated
- Choose from six different classes: Rogue, Ranger, Knight, Barbarian, Cleric, Wizard
- Recruit companions to join you on your quest and make use of their special abilities
- Equip your hero with stat-boosting loot to improve the chances of victory
- Fight for your place at the top of the Monster Slayers leaderboards
- Inspired by the much-loved deck-building RPG, Dream Quest, created by Peter Whalen (Hearthstone)
Hopefully this rogue-like-deck-building-monster-killing RPG lives up to the mish-mash of genres it represents. Will you get lost in the shuffle?
The launch trailer is available below: