Mortal Kombat 11 Director Ed Boon is Still Holding Out Hope For an E Rating from the ESRB

Mortal Kombat 11 Director Ed Boon is Still Holding Out Hope For an E Rating from the ESRB

Despite being one of the most violent video game franchises around, Mortal Kombat's Ed Boon is still believing that MK11 could still receive the series' first E rating.

Mortal Kombat has long been identified as one of the most violent video games in the history of the medium. Heck, it caused such a stir back in the 90s that it’s part of the reason why the ESRB even exists in the first place today.

Despite all of this, that still hasn’t kept Mortal Kombat’s long-time director Ed Boon from holding out hope for a potential E rating from the ratings board. In a recent post over on Twitter, Boon said that Mortal Kombat 11 is still pending rating from the ESRB and jokingly quipped that maybe this time around the game will finally receive the series’ first E rating. “So you never know….we might get that E (for Everyone) rating after all,” Boon said.

It didn’t take long for the official ESRB Twitter account to fire back and dash those hopes right away. “C’mon, Ed…” was all that the ESRB needed to say to convey that Mortal Kombat 11 will not be getting anything close to an E rating. If you’ve already seen the game’s incredibly violent reveal trailer that debuted during The Game Awards last week, then you immediately knew that an M rating would be incoming for MK11. This isn’t surprising in the slightest and it honestly wouldn’t be a Mortal Kombat game without an M rating, anyway — except for that one with DC superheroes.

Mortal Kombat 11 is due out later this year on April 23 for PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC. A formal reveal event featuring the first gameplay from the title will take place next month on January 17.