Electronic Arts Announces Changes to Need for Speed Payback's Progression and Car Upgrades
Electronic Arts and Ghost Games are making changes on how progression and car upgrading work in Need for Speed Payback for PS4, Xbox One and PC.
Today Electronic Arts announced several changes that are being rolled out into its recently-released racing game Need for Speed Payback, focusing on progression and car upgrades.
The development team at Ghost Games has been paying attention to feedback, and they heard “loud and clear” that it’s too time-consuming to upgrade multiple cars. Since developers agree with that premise, they have started an update process with server-side tweaks that should be already live.
First of all, the time it takes for parts to refresh in the tune-up shops has been lowered from thirty to ten minutes. Completing events, bait crates and roaming racers will grant more in-game bank and REP, allowing players to purchase more cars and parts. The increase in REP will also award players with more shipments, bringing more bank, more part tokens and more vanity items in turn.
Ranked Speedlist will also grant more parts. Winners will receive a guaranteed part, while anyone who participates will have a 50% chance of winning one. The rate of appearance of Air Suspensions has also been increased.
It doesn’t end here, as Ghost Games promises to keep making tweaks, based on player feedback, pledging commitment “to making car progression a much more enjoyable experience.”
On top of the server-side tweaks, a client-side patch is coming soon, and it will include the addition of higher quality parts to tune-up shops. Below you can check out a handy summary of all the changes that are already live via the server-side tweaks, and those coming with the patch.
The Changes – Already Live
- Decreased the time it takes for new parts to appear in Tune-Up shops, down from 30mins to 10mins.
- Increased the amount of REP awarded by taking part in events.
- Increased the amount of Bank awarded by taking part in events.
- Bait crates now reward increased REP.
- Bait crates now reward increased Bank.
- Competing against a Roaming Racer will reward you with increased REP.
- Competing against a Roaming Racer will reward you with increased Bank.
- Increased rate in which parts are rewarded within Ranked Speedlists.
- Air Suspension will now appear more frequently.
- Slightly increased REP and Bank for finishing an event outside of first place.
The Changes – Coming in a Patch
- Tune-up shops now stock higher quality parts.
- Improved quality of cards from targeted rolls in the Tune-up Shops.
- Increased the level on parts awarded from winning events.
- Multiple fixes to Improve stability.
- Improved game performance.
EA isn’t new to making changes to the progression models of its games, with the recent updates to Star Wars Battlefront II being the most visible.
Need for Speed Payback is currently available for PS4, Xbox One andPC.