New Patch for Dragon Age: Origins Fixes a Boatload of Issues
Barring any unforeseen issues that crop up, today Bioware will be releasing a massive patch for the PC version of Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age: Awakening. While today’s patch is for the PC only, there are PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of the same patch in various stages of approval with Sony and Microsoft, so those players will be seeing similar fixes come down the line in the coming days.
I didn’t even know most of these issues existed, however I find it odd that Bioware would wait so long to fix some of them, such as the dexterity-based damage bonus of daggers. That is a huge issue if you’re playing certain classes with certain specializations. Why it hasn’t been fixed before now is beyond me.
Needless to say, it is good to know it is being fixed now. This patch won’t solve every issue that the game tends to have from time to time, but it is a step in the right direction, making a great game even better. Check out the entire set of patch notes after the break.
- Daggers will now properly assign the dexterity-based damage bonus.
- Achievement images and messages will now display properly.
- Resolved some authorization issues with downloadable content.
- Blood talents from the Grey Warden Base premium downloadable content will now work properly in Awakening.
- Fixed an issue where installing new downloadable content would occasionally leave the “Other Campaigns” selection greyed-out without a restart of the game.
- Multiple transitions in and out of Fade areas will no longer multiply the number of visual effects running and slow down gameplay.
- Floating numbers no longer appears over players’ heads.
- Damage statistics will now be updated properly on the Inventory screen when weapons were unequipped.
- Importing a character to a new module from a savegame that did not have the hero in the party caused the game to crash.
- If a character is imported into Dragon Age: Awakening and is stripped of their incompatible gear from DLC, they will be equipped with default equipment.
- Names with accents and special characters will now show up correctly in the Story So Far load hints.
- Switching between Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age: Awakening will no longer reset options to default settings.
- Fixed a number of memory leaks that were increasing the number of crashes
- Audio drivers were causing a number of audio-related crashes. As such, audio drivers have been updated.
- Fixed issues that were preventing portraits from being uploaded to the BioWare social site.
- Game saves on Xbox 360 were being corrupted if you sold too many items to the same merchant. Saves will no longer be corrupted if you do this.
- Screenshots are no longer automatically uploaded on the PC by default on new installations.
- Fixed pick-pocketing. Characters were successfully stealing, but not receiving any items.
Dragon Age: Origins Fixes
- Fixed an issue that would cause incorrect characters to occasionally appear in Morrigan’s ritual.
- Players who rescued their party members in the Fade of the Broken Circle plot were still forced to fight the sloth demon alone. This has been resolved.
- It is no longer possible for the player to get blocked during gameplay by pursuing both candidates’ quests in the Orzammar plot line.
Dragon Age: Awakening Fixes
- A variety of bugs were preventing personal quests from triggering and causing issues with party member approval have been fixed.
- Lillith will no longer repeatedly thank the player at Vigil’s Keep after being rescued.
- During the Assault on Amaranthine, a bug would occasionally make some enemies invincible, which impeded game progress. This no longer happens.
- Imported rogue characters will now properly detect traps.
- The message, “Legacy tattoo asset do not use!” will no longer appear on the faces of imported characters.
- Masterpiece and paragon silverite runes are now weapon runes instead of armor runes.
- The masterpiece slow rune is now available for purchase from merchant stores.
- Players may now receive notes of appreciation from their Origins love interests.