NieR: Automata Shines in 27 Minutes of PS4 Gameplay; Shows JRPG Elements and Much More
Square Enix shows off Nier: Automata's gameplay, focusing on its JRPG elements, that didn't get much time under the spotlight until now.
Today, Square Enix released a brand new video of the upcoming action JRPG by Yoko Taro and PlatinumGames NieR: Automata.
The video focuses mostly on the game’s JRPG elements, but it showcases a lot of different features, as described in the accompanying press release.
- “Reliquary” System – Players can return to where their characters were defeated to gain additional buffs, or even gain an ally to assist in their battle against the fearsome machines.
- 17 Different Pod Skills – Using “Pods,” your mini-robot companions, players can not only temporarily hover or be thrown distances to access additional areas, but each Pod can be programmed with a variety of offensive and defense skills, including lasers, hammers, and more. By using up to three Pods at the same time, players can also charge their skills to make them up to three times stronger.
- “Plug-in-Chip” System – By installing chips into your android body, players can increase damage and add skills to help survive against enemies.
- Riding System – Players can ride boars and other wildlife for quicker travel, while also using them to attack.
- Quest Hub – As players immerse themselves in the desolate world, they can take on a variety of sub-quests from multiple Quest Hubs scattered throughout.
- Fishing Minigame – Players can catch a variety of fish through this mini-game to sell or gain temporary beneficial status effect.
Interestingly, today we learned that the game sold nearly 200,000 copies in its debut week in Japan, where it’s currently available for PS4(with English voices and text in English, French, Italian, German and Spanish included), while it will release in North America on March 7th, and in Europe on March 10th. A PC version on Steam has also been scheduled for this year, but no specific launch window has been announced for that version just yet.
If you want to learn more about the game, you can read our full review, fresh from yesterday.
Check the video out below, but beware that it might include mild spoilers.