Nintendo is Getting Online Maintenance Ahead of the Christmas Surge
There are some rolling blackouts in the next couple days for all Nintendo platforms; check to make sure your play session won't be affected.
There are only three absolutes in this world: death, taxes, and the Christmas morning blackouts for most consoles online services. And whether it is an orchestrated blackout or just the natural rush by thousands of new users, we can expect rolling blackouts by even the best service providers.
Thankfully, it looks like Nintendo is taking the usual preventive steps a week before the rush comes in with some online maintenance. Bad news, it means some select services and games for Nintendo 3DS, Wii U, and Nintendo Switch will be going offline between today and tomorrow. Here is the full list of maintenance you can expect:
- Sunday, December 17, 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM Pacific: Online play of some Nintendo Switch software
- Monday, December 18, 3:45 PM to 4:45 PM Pacific: Nintendo eShop for Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, Nintendo Game Store (PC), and Wii U
- Monday, December 18, 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM Pacific: Nintendo Badge Arcade
- Monday, December 18, 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM Pacific: Online play of some Nintendo Switch software
- Monday, December 18, 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM Pacific: Animal Crossing: New Leaf — Welcome amiibo
- Monday, December 18, 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM Pacific: Splatoon
- Monday, December 18, 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM Pacific: Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Sun
- Monday, December 18, 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM Pacific: Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Sun
Frustratingly, it doesn’t mention which Nintendo Switch games will be going down both today and tomorrow. That said, reasonable estimates would say the major online titles — Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2 — will likely be affected.