Sweet mercy, this is bizarre and horrendous. Skyward Sword players, take heed: whatever you do, do not go to Lanaryu Desert for the first “Song of the Hero” quest. If you do, you won’t be able to finish the game and will have to start over. Ouch.
The “Song of the Hero” quest requires Link to complete missions involving the Thunder, Water, and Fire Dragons. Should you decide to complete the Thunder Dragon quest in the Lanaryu Desert first and have a nice little chat with Golo the Goron after, this locks out the other two dragon events in Faron Woods and Eldin Volcano. No “Song of the Hero” for you.
Nintendo has responded to the issue and assures players that they are working on resolving the glitch for future copies of the game. If you’ve already bought the game, please familiarize yourself with these shenanigans before you begin the quest. If you absolutely must complete the Thunder Dragon quest first, stay the frak away from Golo, that jerk.
Nintendo has been sending a general e-mail to anyone who contacts them regarding the issue. You can read the contents of the message after the cut.
We have been made aware of the issue that results in being unable to progress in the Song of the Hero quest. If the game has been saved after completing the sequence of events, it will no longer be possible to proceed through the game on that save file. The only options at that point are to either start the game over or to use an earlier save file to continue.
The situation is caused by performing the following sequence of events during the Song of the Hero quest:
1. At the beginning of the quest, go to Lanayru Desert to retrieve the song of the Thunder Dragon.
2. In the Lanayru Mine, speak with Golo the Goron.
3. Complete the Thunder Dragon’s event, and receive his song.
4. Before heading to the forest or volcano regions, speak with Golo in the mine again.
5. At this point, the forest and volcano events will no longer occur, making it impossible to continue.
• This issue WILL NOT OCCUR if the Fire and Water Dragon songs have already been collected before collecting the Thunder Dragon’s song. Talking to Golo in the Lanayru Caves will also NOT trigger this issue.
• If the game has been saved after completing the sequence of events, it will no longer be possible to proceed through the game on that save file. The only options at that point are to either start the game over or to use an earlier save file to continue.
I wish I had a better answer, but I’m afraid there currently is no other fix available. I can assure, however, that we are documenting all feedback we receive on this issue. Thank you for your patience and support.