Nintendo Switch Firmware Update 8.0.0 Adds Sorting, Icons, Zoom, Save Data Transfer
Version 8.0.0 of the Nintendo Switch firmware is now available to update, with "Sort Software" being one of a few new additions.
At this point in the Nintendo Switch’s life cycle, owners of the console do not expect any monumental changes or additions from any firmware updates. Enter the newest update, version 8.0.0, which lacks many features that players are seeking, but still has a decent list of quality-of-life improvements. Switch owners will be able to sort their games and choose from new profile icons from Yoshi’s Crafted World and Splatoon 2.
Users can find the option to sort software in the “All Software” icon at the very right end of the Switch menu, assuming you have at least 13 pieces of Switch software. On the top right corner of that screen are some filtering options, allowing users to sort their software from four different options: time last played, total time played, title, and publisher. This isn’t the full folders solution that players are looking for, but it’s probably better than nothing.
A new “Zoom” feature is also included—users can go to System Settings and toggle on a command for zooming the screen. Zooming is activated by double tapping the Home button, with controls to move around the screen and zoom in even further. I imagine this is this mainly an accessibility option, mainly for those who may have trouble making out some of the text on the Switch’s screen.
Some may be pleased to learn that Nintendo has added a “Transfer Your Save Data” option in the settings. While players were able to transfer their user and save data in bulk from one system to another, it appears as if though version 8.0.0 splits save data separately from user data. Naturally, this is a one-way transfer, not a copy, meaning that the source console will lose that data after a transfer.
The last full-numbered software update for the Switch came in January, where 7.0.0 added additional language support and, you guessed it, more icons. Besides the aforementioned request for folders, Switch owners are also crossing their fingers for more dashboard themes. Nintendo has also mentioned that the Home button has a blue light, but they have yet to add an update that adds this functionality.
As mentioned, version 8.0.0 for Nintendo Switch is now available for download. Meanwhile, check out the patch notes below, and be sure to read our review for Yoshi’s Crafted World.
Improvements Included in Version 8.0.0 (Distributed 04/15/2019)
Added the following system functionality:
- A Sort Software feature is available after selecting to view All Software from the HOME Menu
- Software can be sorted by time last played, total play time, software title, and software publisher
- The All Software option displays when there are 13 or more software icons on the HOME Menu
- A View All Available News option is available within News, allowing you to view all news items currently being distributed
- Go to News > Channel List > View More
- Select from 15 new icons from the Splatoon™ 2 and Yoshi’s Crafted World™ games for your user
- To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the HOME Menu > Profile
- A feature to Transfer Your Save Data is now available, allowing you to transfer your save data for individual games between your Nintendo Switch systems
- Go to System Settings > Data Management > Transfer Your Save Data
- Save data will not remain on your source system after the transfer process completes
- A Zoom feature can be enabled from within System Settings
- Go to System Settings > System to turn Zoom ON
- Once enabled, you can use the Zoom feature by pressing the HOME Button twice
- An option is available to prevent the system from waking from Sleep Mode when an AC adapter is disconnected
- Go to System Settings > Sleep Mode > Wake When AC Adapter is Disconnected
- This also applies when undocking your console
- A VR Mode (3D Visuals) restriction is available within Parental Controls
- This will also be available in the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app through a later update
- Go to System Settings > Parental Controls
- These settings can also be changed from within Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit
- Hong Kong / Taiwan / South Korea is available for selection in Region
- Go to System Settings > System > Region
- The following names have been changed (functionality remains the same)
- Save Data Cloud Backup > Save Data Cloud
- Transfer Your User and Save Data > Transfer Your User Data
General system stability improvements to enhance the user’s experience.Advertisement