Nioh 2 Has Character Creation, Online Coop, William's Return Teased
Nioh 2 story and game system details, gameplay from its first stage event at Tokyo Game Show 2019
Koei Tecmo and Team Ninja revealed live Nioh 2 gameplay on the first day of Tokyo Game Show 2019. The game’s producers commented the gameplay live, revealing new information. Here are the main points, summarized by Game’s Talk:
- Nioh 2 has multiple famous actors and actresses playing its characters, including Naoto Takenaka and Haru.
- As we already know, the protagonist is a human yokai hybrid. This allows them to use yokai specific skills. When defeating other yokai, the protagonists get “soul energy”, which allows them to use the powers of the Yokai they defeated.
- Yokai monsters can basically force a transition of the surroundings into the world of the Yokai, the Dark Realm (Tokoyami in Japanese), making them much stronger. It’s basically a huge reference to Tokusatsu shows where the mob of the week retreats in another dimension to power up. Sharivan, in particular, comes to mind. You should watch the Metal Hero Series if you have no idea what I’m talking about.
- Up to 3 players simultaneously can do online coop together on Nioh 2. An asynchronous coop multiplayer system is also present.
- Players with Nioh 1 saves will get bonuses which will be revealed later.
- Koei Tecmo said they’ll reveal later whether William appears in the game or not. Meaning he’s definitely coming back in some way, or else they wouldn’t even bring it up in the first place.
4Gamer also interviewed Nioh 2 Producer Fumihiko Yasuda at Tokyo Game Show 2019. Here are the main details:
- The protagonist of Nioh 2 is a mercenary who travels to earn a living. They end up meeting with Toukichirou, a merchant. The two of them become associates and start both acting under the same name: Toyotomi Hideyoshi. As such, just like the first game, Nioh 2 will mix Japanese folklore with Yokai stuff, but will also be based on actual history.
- The character creation is limited in the TGS 2019 demo. However, the final version will include many detailed parameters such as adjusting the eyes, chin, nose, etc or the character’s age. You can even do stuff like changing the “amount of feminity exuding from your gestures.”
- Nioh 2 will have the same level of difficulty as the first game. They didn’t make the game easier because the protagonist is stronger this time, having the powers of yokai. And it’s still an action RPG, meaning you can grind for EXP and better equipment to progress even if you have trouble mastering the action gameplay.
- The asynchronous online multiplayer mode makes other players, equipped with their stuff, appear as NPCs to assist you. And if you’re really stuck, you can play in realtime online coop with 2 other players.
- The “soul energy” things you get when defeating yokai, which lets you use their powers, can be upgraded just like normal weapons.
- The game has a just counter system. If you counter a strong attack at the right time, you’ll get some of your resources like yokai power back.
- The protagonist has different yokai transformations. Some focus on offense while some focus on evasion. The game has tons of different possible playstyles. You can make your own specific builds like in the first game too, so balancing everything was pretty hard.
Koei Tecmo’s stream with a timestamp for the gameplay sequence is included below.
Nioh 2 will be launching in early 2020 exclusively on PS4. More Nioh 2 is coming on every day of TGS 2019, till September 15. You can check our schedule here for specific time conversions.