June NPD results are always quite interesting, as they give us an partial indication of the reception of what we saw at E3. According to a press release from Sony Computer Entertainment, the PS4 was on top for both hardware and software sales.
The announcement also mentioned the popularity of Batman: Arkham Knight bundles as one of the reasons. The latest adventure of Rocksteady’s caped hero quite evidently contributed to propel Sony’s console to the top.
As we race towards the busy holiday seasons (or at least I wish, it’s way too hot here), it’ll be interesting to see if Sony will manage to keep the lead. For now, months in which the Xbox One pulls ahead are fairly rare, but the fall line-up on Microsoft’s console is very solid.
Update: the NPD has now released the software sales chart with Batman: Arkham Knight obviously on top. Interestingly, quite a few of the titles (including second and third ranker The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited and Lego: Jurassic World) sold more on Xbox One than on PS4, and Splatoon for Wii U makes a welcome appearance in 5th place.
- Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
- The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited (Xbox One, PS4, PC)
- Lego: Jurassic World (360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3, 3DS, Wii U, Vita)
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
- Splatoon (Wii U)
- Minecraft (360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)
- Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
- Mortal Kombat X (PS4, Xbox One)
- NBA 2K15 (360, PS4, Xbox One, PS3, PC)
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)