NPD: PS4 Outsells Xbox One Again in August, But Microsoft’s Console Nearly Doubles July Sales
The NPD just released its monthly results for August, giving us a glimpse on the situation of the US brick and mortar console market.
Quite surprisingly (or maybe not too surprisingly) the PS4 version of Madden NFL 15 outsold the Xbox One version, and the same can be said about Diablo III, as you can see from the ranking below. The NPD ranks the platform list in order of sales, but it’s worth mentioning that they don’t count bundles, so if you consider those it may very well be the other way around for Madden.
- Madden NFL 15 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
- Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
- Minecraft (360, PS3)
- The Last of Us (PS4, PS3)
- Call of Duty: Ghosts (360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3, PC, Wii U)
- Lego Marvel Super Heroes (360, PS3, Wii U, PS4, 3DS, DS, Xbox One, Vita, PC)
- Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare (360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One)
- Watch Dogs (PS4, 360, PS3, Xbox One, PC)
- Battlefield 4 (360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, PC)
- The Lego Movie Videogame (360, 3DS, PS3, Wii U, PS4, Xbox One, Vita)
Microsoft comes with something to boast about, as the Xbox One doubled its sales figures for July, which is definitely a good result:
Xbox One sales are on a positive trajectory, nearly doubling sales in August in the U.S. compared to July due in part to strong demand for the Xbox One Madden NFL 15’bundle. The holiday season is upon us we’re looking forward to bringing the best value bundles, incredible offers like the ‘Buy a Console Get a Game Free’ promotion running now and more great games as we gear up for the launches of Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2, Destiny, Grand Theft Auto V and Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare.
On the other hand Sony lined another victory, dominating the US market for the eighth consecutive month with the PS4, and also leading cumulative sales (PS4 + PS3 vs Xbox One + Xbox 360) for the third month in a row.