This evening, following another intense day of the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, we saw the ceremony for the Game Developers Choice Awards.
The Game of the Year ward was won by Overwatch, that came on top of top-notch nominees including Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End, Inside, Dishonored 2, and Firewatch.
On the other hand, Battlefield 1 won the user-voted Audience Award.
- Best Debut: Campo Santo (Firewatch)
- Best Audio: Inside
- Innovation Award: No Man’s Sky
- Ambassador Award: Mark Deloura
- Best Technology: Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
- Best VR/AR Game: Job Simulator
- Best Visual Art: Inside
- Pioneer Award: Jordan Mechner
- Best Narrative: Firewatch
- Best Design: Overwatch
- Best Mobile/Handheld Game: Pokémon GO
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Tim Sweeney
- Audience Award: Battlefield 1
- Game of the Year: Overwatch.
If you’re curious on what games were nominated for each category, you can check them all out here. Nominees were chosen among “any video game which was released, and made publicly available to consumers, during the year 2016, irrespective of platform or delivery medium.”
Last year, the Game Developers Choice Awards were won by The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.
The Game Developers Choice Awards weren’t the only ones held today, and you can find out the winners of the Independent Games Festival here.