A new update has been applied today to Phantom Halls, the single player 2D survival roguelike game from Incendium. The latest update adds the mansion’s cemetery to the game which creates an outdoor space filled with new horrors to deal with. In addition to adding this new area, the melee combat has also been revamped with improved hit boxes and adding a new parry ability which will help with countering enemy attacks. Addtionally, a new trailer for the new update has also been released, which can be seen below.
If you haven’t played or heard of Phantom Halls before, here is a brief description of the game:
Enter a haunted mansion and prepare to face the undead terrors that stalk the phantom halls! Squad up to survive the night using whatever you can find, but remember – you can’t kill what you can’t see, so be sure to bring a flashlight…
With fast-paced, action-packed gameplay and a 3D papercraft visual motif, Phantom Halls sees players take on the roles of multiple characters at once – with each character’s actions assigned to a different key. It’s a real-time Worms with the procedurally generated chaos of Spelunky!
Here are the full update notes, courtesy of Incendium:
- Added the ability to deflect melee attacks, which is triggered by pressing the attack button with a melee button just as an enemy’s attack is about to strike. Deflecting a melee attack interrupts the enemy’s attack and puts them in a stunned state.
- Added the cemetery location.
- Added a new enemy, the Ghost, to the cemetery, which flies around, hurling ghostly energy at its victims.
- Added new traps.
- Added a new quest “Dead Party” to the Nerd.
- Added positional damage: headshots will now take more damage.
- Zombies now only take damage when shot in the head.
- Skeletons are now more vulnerable to blunt weapons.
- Insect enemies now dissolve when they are killed, making it more clear that they are dead.
- Added some new lootable container styles.
- Added skyboxes to areas that allow you to see outdoors.
- Removed FXAA due to a rendering glitch which caused the game to become unplayable.
- Characters now have more accurate hitboxes.
- Fixed a minor issue with projectiles, which would cause the player to be able to “run into” the skeleton’s bone throw.
- Various optimizations to lessen the CPU usage of enemies and rooms that are far enough away from the player.
- Enemies now deaggro if they’ve lost their targets for long enough.
Phantom Halls is currently available on PC via Steam Early Access.