Phil Spencer Talks Microsoft’s E3 Conference and His Highlights: Backwards Compatibility and More
Yesterday we heard about SCEA CEO Shawn Layden’s take on Sony’s press conference, and today we get to hear from Xbox Division Head Phil Spencer on his own highlights from Microsoft’s press briefing, which he explained during a livestream from the show floor.
- The backwards compatibility moment was “pretty exceptional,” especially because the engineering team in Redmond spent so much time to get that right, and seeing the reaction of the fans to the announcement was “just amazing.”
- Another favorite moment was Rare bringing RareReplay and announcing a new franchise built from the ground up. According to Spencer it was “fantastic.”
- Other highlight moments were Fallout 4, Dark Souls III and Halo 5, with Bonnie Ross opening the show.
- The Game Preview program was brought to Xbox One to create a connection between games and developers.
- The HoloLens Minecraft demo came together fairly late, and was added to the show less than three weeks ago. According to Spencer it was “magical.”
- According to Spencer having 24 cars on track in Forza Motorsport 6 is a great accomplishment for Turn 10, and they deliver every year. He thinks Forza Motorsport 6 is going to take a lot of his time. “It’s gonna be fantastic.”
Microsoft’s press conference was definitely solid, with a lot of content delivered at a great pace. It’s quite evident that both Microsoft and Sony are taking this generation very seriosuly, and the House of Xbox is taking the competition head-on.