PlayStation Network Online ID Change Preview Rolling Out
The PlayStation Network Online ID change preview program is currently being sent to select members and includes some caution as to the change's effects.
Some users have begun receiving emails containing their voucher to participate in the PlayStation Network Online ID change preview that will come alongside System Software update 6.10 for the PlayStation 4.
However, the fine print reportedly contains some worrying side-effects. Should your PlayStation Network Online ID change, games on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, and PlayStation Vita may not support the change. This means you may lose access to content, and that includes paid contnet, that you have acquired such as in-game currency and DLC, as well as lose save data, leaderboard data, and trophy progression. This information comes from Resetera user Azdoune. While users can revert back to the original Online ID (so long as it doesn’t violate the Terms of Service), you can only do so once during this preview period. User Araya Soren claimed to have changed their name hours ago but retained purchases and only lost leaderboard progress in The Last of Us Remastered.
While these warnings are not guarantees, users should use caution. This is only a preview of the system and things can change or end up not as wide-reaching as expected when it launches fully in 2019. The name change has been a often-requested feature for PlayStation Network for years and was only recently confirmed to be in the works by Sony. You can read the details of the preview program for the PlayStation Network Online ID change below.
Change Online ID Overview
As part of the System Software 6.10 preview, we are rolling out the upcoming Change Online ID system feature. As a preview user you will be able to change your Online ID using the new system tools.
To use this feature please ensure you have a clear understanding of the implications of changing your Online ID and the software’s restrictions – described in the following sections – before software installation. If you are unsure, do not download and install the Preview Programme software.
Important Information Before Changing your Online ID:
Not all games and applications for PS4™, PS3™, PS Vita, and other PlayStation® systems support the Online ID change feature. If you change your Online ID:
• You may lose access to content (including paid-for content) that you have acquired for your games, including content like add-ons and virtual currency.
• You may lose your progress within games, including game saved data, leaderboard data and progress toward trophies.
• Parts of your games and applications might not function properly, both online and offline.
• Your previous Online ID(s) may remain visible to you and other players in some places.
Change Online ID Restrictions During Preview:
The changes during the preview will adhere to the following structure:
• First change is free for all users.
• Second change will be charged at €9.99 / £7.99 (PlayStation®Plus subscribers receive a 50% discount).
• If your previous Online ID violates any of the current Terms of Service, you will not be able to revert back to your previous Online ID.
• You can revert to your previous Online ID once per account during the preview period.
• Sub-Accounts cannot utilise the Change Online ID feature.
• After you change your Online ID, it may take a few hours for some services and applications to reflect the new ID.
If for any reason you have issues after changing your Online ID you can revert back to your previous ID at no charge. However:
• you may only do this once during the preview period;
• changing back to your previous Online ID may not fix all issues (you may not recover all or any lost content, progress and functionality; and
• if you want to change back, do so as soon as possible because changing back to your previous Online ID may affect content, game progress and functionality associated with your new Online ID.