Today, developer Keen Games and publisher 505 Games announced that the former popular PC exclusive game, Portal Knights, is set to arrive on PS4 and Xbox One this spring. Specifically, the game will release on the above mentioned platforms simultaneously in Europe on April 28th, and in North America on May 2nd. Additionally, Keen Games announced that the game will leave Steam Early Access — where it has been since Feb 25, 2016 — and launch fully on PC on April 28th.
Never heard of Portal Knights? No problem — here’s an overview of it, courtesy of the game’s Steam page:
Leave the familiar world behind and step into the fantastic unknown with Portal Knights! Play with your friends in this action-packed crafting adventure across dozens of sandbox islands connected by ancient portals.
No one can remember how long it’s been since the peaceful world was torn apart by The Fracture, plummeting it into darkness. Is there any soul brave enough to reunite the shattered realm? Craft your adventure. Forge your hero. Become the ultimate Portal Knight!Key Features
- Travel between randomly generated 3D sandbox worlds — each one with unique environments, creatures, and resources for crafting.
- Tactical action combat. Strike your foes and dodge their attacks in fast-paced 3rd-person battles. Choose from an assortment of weapons and spells to defeat them!
- RPG character classes to choose from and master. Play as a Warrior, Mage or Ranger and customize your appearance, abilities, and gear.
- Mine and gather resources from across the lands to craft your arsenal and supplies.
- Build your home with dozens of materials and furnishings. Display the hard-earned treasure from your journeys. Plant a farm and reap your harvest as your crops grow in real time.
- Epic boss battles. Face off against the Portal Guardians, the most formidable beasts in the realm, in their twisted arenas.
- Join your friends in 4-person cooperative multiplayer. Work together to build structures, explore dungeons, and overcome the toughest perils.
If you’re on PC and are interested in picking this up, you might want to do it before the game leaves Early Access on April 28th and gets a price hike. How much that price hike will be, wasn’t divulged, however, the game is currently $14.99 USD, so I would expect it to jump to either $19.99 USD, $24.99 USD, or $29.99 USD.
If you pick the game up in Early Access, you will also obtain the Pioneer Flag and Cape, which was given out to Early Access adopters. Keen Games has also said it will award more items to early adopters when the games leave Early Access. What these items will be, wasn’t divulged, but if you plan on picking the game up on PC, it’s a no-brainer to pick it up before it fully launches.
Looking towards the immediate future, Keen Games, has said it will have more info on its v 0.8.0 — its next major update — soon. Additionally, the team is also working on introducing split-screen, which is something players have been requesting for quite some time, as well as general improvements and changes to the RPG elements of the game. But there’s more. It is also working on implementing the ability to explore different islands while in the same multiplayer session, which is again, something fans have been yearning for.
A price point for Portal Knights was not divulged, but we do know that it will be available both at retail (not on the PC) and digitally. To celebrate the announcement, 505 games released a new trailer — you can check it out below: