Project Sakura Wars Gets New Gameplay, Music Videos for Every Main Character
New comments from Producer Tetsu Katano, all the character songs, and an explanation of Project Sakura Wars' battle results screen.
In Japan, Sega has been releasing plenty of new info on Shin Sakura Taisen, temporarily titled Project Sakura Wars in the west. Music videos for all of the main characters’ character songs have been published. And the game was featured at the PlayStation Live Sapporo 2019 event on November 5. We’ve got some new gameplay and Producer Tetsu Katano said some interesting stuff as always, so let’s check this out.
First off, Tetsu Katano hinted that there are still other unrevealed character designers working on Shin Sakura Taisen. We should hear more in the next stream on November 20.
Katano also hinted that there’s more to Itsuki and Hiromi than meets the eye, or else they wouldn’t have asked Noizi Ito to design them. He also mentioned how Lancelot is probably the strongest sword wielder in the game. And how Anastasia gliding with her umbrella is similar to what he did with Big The Cat in Sonic Heroes, but it’s not like it’s a reference either.
Moreover, battle gameplay featuring Seijuro and Hatsuho was shown at the event:
There are two important details we learned through this gameplay sequence. First, when you fall in a pit, you don’t actually lose HP or receive any penalty. But you get sent back a bit farther from where you fell.
The second thing is how we saw Shin Sakura Taisen‘s battle results screen for the very first time. And you can see the influence of Valkyria Chronicles in its design. Which makes things go full circle as, in the first place, Valkyria Chronicles was made by Sakura Taisen‘s team.
Anyway, what’s interesting here is how your battle is ranked. There’s the time you took to finish the mission. The number of enemies you defeated. The total damage you dealt. The Trust Level you reached. And how many times you got a “reinforcement”.
Producer Katano explained that if you get a game over, you can either retry normally or retry with a reinforcement. As in, your units will receive less damage. If you do that, it makes things easier, but you’ll get a lesser rank.
Next, we’ve got the music videos for all the main characters of Project Sakura Wars. You’ve probably seen some of these videos already. Sega has been publishing them these past few weeks, but I didn’t have the time to cover each one individually.
Speaking of which. Soon, we’ll be publishing an editorial focusing on the musical side of the Sakura Taisen series and composer Kohei Tanaka. He shared many interesting tidbits during the October stream, detailing every single character song. He also explained why Sega hasn’t announced new musicals with the seiyuu from Shin Sakura Taisen.
Note that these are short versions of the character songs. The full versions are included in the game’s Limited Edition in Japan.
Sakura Amamiya’s character song, “Otome Nandesu yo”. Sung by Ayane Sakura.
Hatsuho Shinonome’s character song, “Onna! Matsuri no Kokoro Iki”. Sung by Maaya Uchida.
Azami Mochizuki’s character song, “Ninja Azami”. Sung by Hibiku Yamamura.
Anastasia Palma’s character song. “Kaereru Basho”. Sung by Ayaka Fukuhara.
Claris’ character song, “Rondo”. Sung by Saori Hayami.
Yui Huang’s character song, “Niji no Kanata”. Sung by Sumire Uesaka.
Lancelot’s character song. “Entaku no Kishi”. Sung by Manami Numakura.
Elise’s character song, “Kurogane no Hoshi”. Sung by Nana Mizuki.
Itsuki Saijo’s character song, “Ruriruran Ginza Roman”. Sung by Mayu Yoshioka.
PS4 exclusive Shin Sakura Taisen launches on December 12 in Japan and in Spring 2020 in the west. A demo will be launching on the Japanese PlayStation Store on November 21. We’ve covered every single detail Sega revealed so far:
- First story details and the first trailer
- Spoilers from the unfinished French trailer
- Comments on the Sakura Taisen series from its original creator Oji Hiroi
- Translation of the Famitsu interview with the staff: Part 1 Part 2
- Comments from the main cast
- Comments from Toshihiro Nagoshi, story and mecha details
- Gameplay intro videos for Sumire, Kaoru, and Komachi
- Comments from Sumire’s seiyuu Michie Tomizawa
- Shangai characters designed by Lucky Star’s Yukiko Horiguchi, new gameplay
- Toshihiro Nagoshi explaining the switch to action RPG battles
- London characters designed by Sword Art Online‘s Abec, new gameplay
- Berlin characters designed by Strike Witches‘ Fumikane Shimada, Yasha’s intro, story and gameplay trailers
- Anime announcement trailer
- Opening movie and Limited Edition details
- Stage play announcement, OST comments from Kohei Tanaka and more Limited Edition details
- How long it takes to beat the game and more comments from Producer Katano
- Reveal of Itsuki and Hiromi, designed by Haruhi Suzumiya‘s Noizi Ito.
- New gameplay videos, screenshots, and story details
- Demo details and Combination attacks details
The next stream is coming on November 20, at 20:00 JST. Click here for time conversions. It’ll most notably feature Azami’s seiyuu, Hibiku Yamamura, as a guest.