PS4 Exclusive Ace Combat 7 Uses the Same Amazing Sky Technolgy as Driveclub
One of the best things of Driveclub is its sky, that constantly changes dynamically, with beautiful volumetric clouds that make every race look different. Looks like we’ll soon be able to fly in those skies, as the same sky technology is being used for Ace Combat 7, as revealed by a press release from Bandai Namco.
The technology is developed by Simul and named trueSKy, and it’s also been used extensively by Bohemia Interactive in Arma III and DayZ.
Here are the main features of the tech:
- Live, realtime volumetric clouds.
- Eye-wateringly fast: light on CPU, GPU, and memory.
- GPU data-generation.
- Realtime weather-changes.
- Industry-leading time-of-day effects.
- Atmospherics for distance fading.
- Thunder and lightning.
- Clouds you can fly through.
- Clouds that mix with the landscape.
- Simple C++ API.
- Drop-in sample rendering source code and shaders for OpenGL, DirectX 11, console API’s and major game engines.
- Works with any 3D API or engine.
- Built-in binary and XML data streaming.
You can also see a couple videos of the tech in action below, and the announcement trailer of Ace Combat 7 here.