PS4 Exclusive Bloodborne’s Online Co-Op Features Detailed by Alpha Manual; More Coming With Full Game
If you’re curious about the online features of the upcoming PS4 exclusive Bloodborne, the alpha is going to provide some more insight, and the alpha manual, which is already available, explains how the features include in the test work.
Here’s a recap for your perusal. Item names might differ in the western version, as those below are translated from the Japanese manual:
- Players can stagger enemies by hitting them with correct timing while they’re attacking, or from the rear.
- Communication with other players is done via a gesture menu.
- Four items are available to players during the alpha test: a “Bell of Dream Summoning,” a “Small Bell of Resonating” a “Blank Ammunition of Farewell” and “Memoir“
- By using the Bell of Dream Summoning and Small Bell of Resonating you can play cooperatively with up to three players. The one summoning will be the host, while the others will be guests.
- You start co-op gameplay as a host by using the Bell of Dream Summoning from your inventory menu. An effect will appear at your character’s feet.
- When a player responding to the call is found the bell starts resonating and co-op gameplay will begin
- You indicate that you wish to take part in co-op as a guest by using the Small Bell of Resonating in your inventory menu. An effect will appear at your character’s feet.
- The bell will start to resonate as soon as a host is found, and you’ll be transferred to his world after a short while.
- The effect at the player’s feet will appear only when standing still. All co-op requests can be canceled by using the appropriate item again.
- Co-op gameplay ends (and all players will return to their own world) if any of the following conditions is met: The area boss is defeated, the host or the guest dies or connection to the host is lost.
- The host can also shoot the Blank Ammunition of Farewell to send a guest back to his own world.
- You can use a memoir by combining words and sentences, and place it in the ground. Messages will appear for other players to read.
- You can check the history of the memoirs you’ve left up to any point.
- You can also check the log of all the memoirs you’ve read up to any point and their evaluation.
- By pressing circle (X in the western version) you can read memoirs on the ground close to you.
- You can rate the memoirs you read good or bad by pressing left or right on the D-pad while reading them.
- Other players that are playing in the same location can appear as ghosts.
- Graves will appear where another player has died. By pressing circle (or X in the western version) you can watch a replay of their death.
And here are the options available in the alpha:
- Horizontal camera axis.
- Vertical camera axis.
- Camera rotation speed.
- Automatic enemy lock-on toggle.
- Automatic wall transparency when in the way of the camera.
- Controller vibration toggle.
- HUD display toggle.
- Music volume.
- Sound effects volume.
- Brightness adjustment.
Finally, the controls for the alpha (replace circle and X for the western version).
- D-Pad: menu navigation.
- Circle: confirm.
- X: return to previous screen.
- Left Stick: movement.
- Right Stick: camera.
- R2: strong attack, right hand weapon.
- R1: attack, right hand weapon.
- L1: transformation, right hand weapon.
- L2: attack, left hand weapon, or special attack when using a transformed weapon in two hander.
- Circle: action.
- Triangle: use healing item.
- Square: use item.
- X: Backstep.
- R3: Lock toggle when an enemy is nearby. Reset camera with no enemy in range.
- D-Pad Down: Item selection.
- D-Pad Right: right hand weapon selection.
- D-Pad Left: left hand weapon selection.
- Options: open menu.
- Touch pad pressure on the left: open gesture menu.
- Touch pad pressure on the right: open inventory menu.
- L1 (during an attack): weapon transformation attack.
- Hold R2: attack charge.
- Left stick forward + L2: jumping attack.
- Hold X + Left Stick: Dash.
- Dash + X: Rolling Dash.
- X + Left Stick: Roll
- X Left Stick (when locked on an enemy): Sidestep.
Interestingly, the controls reveal that weapons can be changed on the fly, differently from the show floor demo, that had players select them at the beginning of the level.
It’s relevant to mention that the official Twitter account for the game specified that the online options included in the beta represent just a part of the features which will be in the full game, and more will be announced at a later time.