PS4 Firmware 5.0 Beta Rolls Out Today; Change Notification Colors, Message Improvements, Family on PSN, and More
PS4 firmware update 5.0 is almost upon us, but first Sony is rolling out a beta for it starting today.
Today, Sony Interactive Entertainment announced the beta for the PS4 system’s next major system software update 5.00 — which is codenamed NOBUNAGA — is being dished out today for those that were selected to participate in the beta program.
Here’s a rundown of what is included in the beta:
Family on PSN
Sony is overhauling the current master/sub account system, and introducing the new “Family on PlayStation Network.” This will allow families on PS4 an easier route to setting up PSN accounts for children and to customize parental control settings.
- Will allow for multiple adults to be part of a single family, and allow The Family Manager to promote another adult inside the family to a Parent/Guardian.
- All parental controls (including game age ratings) can be individually attuned for each child.
Friend List Management
- The “Favorite Groups” tab will be replaced by a new “Custom Lists” tab within Friends, which will allow you to create and edit customs lists of your friends. You know — a list for your Nidhogg friends, and one for your Rocket League friends. Or even your Madden 16 Friends. The possibilities are endless.
Broadcast Feature Updates
- If you own a community, you can now bind said community to your broadcast. When a broadcast is linked to a community, the community button will appear on the Live from PlayStation spectator screen. From there, a spectator can click on the community button and jump right to the community page to check out details.
- PlayStation VR
- A new setting in the PlayStation VR: Display Message to Spectators and Spectators Comments has been added. Once this is enabled, spectator comments made during a broadcast will be displayed not only in cinematic mode, but also in VR mode.
- PS4 Pro
- PS4 Pro will now support 1080p 60fps streaming on Twitch.
- You can now share music via messages.
- You can now easily leave several groups at once, by opening up Options in the message list, selecting Leave, and choosing the message groups you want to bounce out of.
- A new setting has been added that allows you to disable pop-up notifications while you’re watching a movie or TV show on your PS4.
- You can now turn off message previews on your pop-up notifications. If you do this, the pop-up notification will hide the message senders’ online ID and will display a generic user icon and message instead.
- You can now change the color of your pop-up notifications to either white (default) or black.
Quick Menu Updates
- You can now see more via Quick Menu, such as what’s happening under Notifications like the progress of your game downloads or party invites.
- A Leave Party option has been added to the Quick Menu.
- You’ll now see the system clock in the upper-right corner of the screen when you open the Quick Menu.
Virtual Surround Sound on PS VR
- PlayStation VR now supports 5.1ch and 7.1ch virtual surround sound on your headphones when watching Blu-rays and DVDs in Cinematic Mode.
Improved Tournaments Bracket Viewer
- A new bracket viewer that shows full tournament brackets for Single and Double Elimination has been implemented.
New System Language Additions
- The following system language options on PS4 have been added: Indonesian, Thai, Vietnamese, Czech, Greek, Romanian, and Hungarian.
As always, if you signed up and were one of the ol’ chosen ones, you’ll receive an email with instructions on how to download the beta and get started testing it out for Sony.
Sony has not provided a timetable for when the update will be finalized and released to the general masses.