PS4 Leads the Charge Between CEDEC Excellence Awards 2014 Nominees; Faces Off Against Xbox One and Wii U
Every year the Computer Entertainment Developers Conference is held in Japan, and 2014 is no exception, with the event set to start on September 2nd and end two days later on the 4th. And like every year the CEDEC Excellent awards will be assigned to those deemed most worthy by the panel of industry professionals and developers.
Today the Computer Entertainment Supplier’s Association, which organizes of the event, announced the nominees for the five main categories of the awards, alongside the motivation of each nomination.
Sony Computer Entertainment leads the charge with five nominations, three of which related to the PS4 (including one for Killzone: Shadow Fall). Interestingly the Network-related award, which is pretty much one of the focuses of this generation, sees a three-way duel between PS4, Xbox One and Wii U. It’ll be interesting to see which console will come on top at the awards ceremony on September 3rd.
You can read the list below:
- PS4 Development Team (Sony Computer Entertainment) – For building a platform that developers can really exploit.
- Unreal Engine 4 Development Team (Epic Games) – For further promoting the democratization of game development.
- HexaDrive Development Team (HexaDrive) – For showcasing the ideal method of developing HD Remakes.
- Sega 3D Reprint Project Development Team (SEGA) – For showcasing the ideal method of developing 3D Remakes.
- Killzone: Shadow Fall Development Team (Sony Computer Entertainment) – For excellence in the graphics technology for current generation consoles.
Visual Arts Department:
- Softimage Development Team Development team (Autodesk) – For being the driving force behind the shaders that support many artists since the dawn of 3D development.
- JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle Development Team (CyberConnect2) – For expressing the style of the anime original in real-time 3D graphics.
- CGI Animation Staff (Sanzigen) – For pioneering the new representation of anime in 3D.
- Techne’s Classroom (NHK) – For leading the young generations that will determine the future of visual arts.
- Unreal Engine Demo “Infiltrator” Development Team – For offering a representation of a new generation of visuals for developers and artists.
Game Design Department:
- Kantai Collection Development Team (DMM.com/Kadokawa Games) – For the concept work called personification/feminization applied to ships.
- Puyo Puyo!! Quest Series Development Team (SEGA) – For the skillfull implementation of synergy between arcade and smartphones.
- Rain Development Team (Sony Computer Entertainment – For the overall design of a game that lets you control an invisible character.
- Lucas Pope – For games that make you reflect about problems affecting humanity.
- Real Escape Game (SCRAP Entertainment) – For a realistic game experience that moved the masses.
- Final Fantasy XIII Series Sound Development Team – For improving the playback environment and the pursuit of sound fidelity from TV Speakers.
- Hideki Sakamoto (Noisycroak) – For his efforts to actively promote video game music through interaction with fans.
- NAMCO Sound Player Sound Development Team (Bandai Namco) – For a new way to enjoy the sound of games.
- Before Meteor: Final Fantasy XIV Original Soundtrack Production team (Square Enix) – For showcasing new possibilities for game soundtracks using hi-res sound sources.
- Original Game Audio Team (Dolby Japan) – For the long-term contribution to the standardization and of surround game audio.
- PS4 Share Developmet Team (Sony Computer Entertainment) – For creating the means of sharing one’s experience.
- Wii U Development Team (Nintendo) – For the lagless video and audio transfer to the gamepad.
- Microsoft Development Team (Microsoft Japan) – For the Peer To Peer Network Architecture of the Xbox One.
- LINE Infrastructure Team (LINE) – For providing the infrastructure to replace phone and e-mail.
- Team in charge of Japanese Hashtags (Twitter Japan) – for the support to the Japanese Hashtag on Twitter.