Sony has jumpstarted the NPD figures this month, announcing that the PS4 won the month of September in the United States, nearly tripling its August sales.
A press release sent by the house of PlayStation is full of good news, including a comment from Sony Network Entertainment Vice-President Eric Lempel, touting a record month in digital sales as well.
September 2014 was a record-breaking month for PlayStation’s digital business, thanks in large part to the success of Destiny.Last month’s PlayStation Store revenue increased nearly 90 percent compared with Sept. 2013. Working closely with Activision and Bungie, we wanted to make the launch of Destiny a special experience for PlayStation fans. We’re thrilled to see this high engagement from PS4 and PS3 owners.
According to numbers from Activision Destiny is the most played title on PS4 with over 125 million hours of gameplay, and the console is the dominant platform for the game worldwide. Further data includes.
- Destiny is currently the most-played PS4 game, with total gameplay hours 5X higher than the second most-played title
- Destiny is #1 across pre-order sales, day one sales, week one sales, and month one sales on PS Store
- Social sharing is hugely popular among Destiny players, with 450,000 hours of live gameplay broadcasted via the PS4 system’s SHARE functionality
- New PlayStation Plus memberships increased 115 percent from the week prior to Destiny’s launch
- The limited-edition Destiny PS4 bundle helped drive PS4 hardware sales to its biggest month in 2014
Looks like it’s good news across the board for Sony. The marketing agreement with Activision on Destiny definitely seem to have paid off.