Today, publisher Team17 and Texas-based developer Mothership Entertainment released a new trailer for their sci-fi city-building game, Aven Colony.
The new trailer, which is one minute and seven seconds long, is essentially just a light overview of the game, but also serves as a showpiece for its beautiful and engrossing landscapes.
What is Aven Colony? Good question, here’s an overview from the developer itself:
Aven Colony puts you in charge of humanity’s first extrasolar settlement on Aven Prime, an alien planet of deserts, tundras, and jungles light years from earth.
Build the infrastructure, look after the well-being of your citizens, manage your resources, and guide your colony to prosperity — all while dealing with the harsh and often dangerous realities of an alien world.
- A rich simulation of an extraterrestrial colony, including oxygen propagation, habitation, employment, electricity and power generation, mining, crime, food cultivation, limited inventory, water, and much more.
- Dozens of different buildings, from simple inflatable-tent “modules” to massive skyscrapers created from carbon nano-cubes (“nanites”). Most of these buildings support 2-3 upgrade tiers.
- A fully functional day/night cycle, which is tied to a “sol” on Aven Prime (a “sol” is equivalent to one earth week, and “night” is essentially a brief winter season). During the “winter” season, Aven Prime freezes over, and farms will not grow food and solar panels will generate far less electricity.
- Use 3 different types of advanced flying drones (construction drones, police drones, and scrubber drones) to build, upgrade, and manage your colony.
- Fully player-controllable game speed; pause the game at any time or play at 1x, 2x, 4x, or 8x game speed.
- An alien infection called “the creep,” which can glom onto buildings and cover them in alien tentacles. Build special “Scrubber Drones” to clear the creep from infected buildings and stop it from taking over the entire colony.
- Additional environmental challenges including lightning storms, dust devils, deadly toxic gas emissions from geothermal vents, and shard storms.
- Research, grow, and process various alien plant species and foodstuffs and decide on the best locations to place farms and greenhouses for roughly a dozen different crops, derived from both Earth-based and native plant species.
- 12 distinct “overlay” modes give more information about the colony: Crops, Citizens, Happiness, Crime, Air, Electricity, Employment, Resources, Commute, Structures, Drones, and Water.
- Manufacture dozens of types of foods, beverages, and “enhancement substances” that will alter your citizens’ morale and productivity.
- A rich morale system based on over a dozen different morale factors, and regular referendum elections that will give your citizens the opportunity to kick you out of office if morale gets too low.
- Over a dozen social policies to influence your colonists.
- Discover, analyze, and use ancient alien artifacts as you learn more about the civilization that once inhabited the world of Aven Prime.
- A robust mission objective system that gently guides the player to build a viable colony at the start of the campaign mode, then expands to give broader objectives toward the endgame and keep the player moving. This system includes construction objectives, trade objectives, population / morale objectives, total colony size objectives, and much more. Up to three objectives are available to the player at a time.
- A unique narrative that reveals the secrets of the civilization that once lived on Aven Prime.
Aven Colony is scheduled to release sometime in Q2 2017 for PS4, Xbox One, and PC. Below, you can check out the new trailer: