Today, developer Unfold Games released its second-ever trailer for psychological horror game DARQ.
The new trailer is perhaps one of the most dismaying trailers I’ve seen all year, featuring some very unsettling music and visuals.
What is DARQ?
DARQ tells the story of Lloyd, a boy who becomes aware of the fact that he is dreaming. To Lloyd’s misfortune, the dream quickly turns into a nightmare and all attempts to wake up end in failure. While exploring the darkest corners of his subconscious, Lloyd learns how to survive the nightmare by bending the laws of physics and manipulating the fluid fabric of the dream world. In DARQ, sound plays a very important role. There are sections of the game that take place in absolute darkness and in order to navigate the environment, Lloyd has to rely on the location of sounds.
- Unique artstyle combining 2d and 3d graphics.
- Shining-like pacing, relying on a slow build and creepy atmosphere rather than gore and violence.
- Music written by Hollywood film composer Wlad Marhulets.
- Puzzles that involve bending the laws of physics (walking on walls and ceilings, levitating), manipulating the dream world (creating items, spawning doors and entire locations), collecting and using found objects, and avoiding enemies.
- Emphasis on sound – some parts of the game involve navigating the environment in complete darkness, which makes the player rely heavily on the location of sounds.
- Randomly generated elements of the gameplay (enemy spawn locations, objects, some locations). No walkthrough is the same.
- Lots of interactive objects and characters that will unfold the story and help Lloyd find answers about the meaning of his journey.
- Dynamic dream world – in DARQ, visiting a room for the second time might yield a surprising result. You might find that some details have changed, or maybe even the entire room got replaced with a new one.
- Multiple endings, depending on the choices you make throughout your journey.
DARQ is set to release for PC sometime in 2017. Below, you can check out the new trailer: