Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 Announced in Nintendo Direct Mini
Fans of Puyo Puyo and Tetris unite over the newest installment in the mashup franchise, Puyo Puyo Tetris 2, coming in December.
In today’s Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase, Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 was announced for the Nintendo Switch. The combination of Puyo Puyo and Tetris seems like a match made in heaven. They both are colorful puzzle games that feature blocks dropping from the top of the screen, so their second fusion seemed inevitable.
If you live anywhere outside of Japan, you might have missed the first Puyo Puyo Tetris, as it released in the West on Switch and PS4 in 2017, three years after its initial Japanese release. Puyo Puyo Tetris 2, however, is launching worldwide on the Switch, Xbox One, and PS4 on December 8, this year. With plans for a next-gen release in the works according to Sega.
Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 is set to feature its classic versus mode where players compete in Puyo Puyo against Tetris, a party mode that has “special items and challenges,” as well as an adventure mode where players will experience a brand new story with a “vibrant cast.”
Sega describes in the press release:
- Turn the Tide of Battle in an Instant: Brand-new Skill Battle mode introduces dynamic character-based skills and equippable Item Cards to fit your playstyle, power up your team, and quickly turn the tables in a match!
- Save a World or Two in a Wild New Adventure: Travel through dimensions with the lovable and quirky cast of both returning and new characters in an all-new story adventure across the worlds of Puyo Puyo and Tetris!
- Online and Better Than Ever: Improved Online modes offer competition in game-specific leagues and Free Play for up to four players, online rankings, and more to be announced!
- Many Ways to Play: Tons of modes provide plenty of variety for up to four players including Versus, Fusion, Swap, Party, Big Bang. For competitors and newcomers, get ready for Tournament and Lessons! Details about these exciting modes will be revealed in future announcements, so prepare yourself!
- And More to Come: DLC will be announced at a later date, but get ready for plenty of content beyond launch!
You can pre-order your copy of Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 right here to get eight in-game item cards to be used in Skill Battle Mode including three “special cards featuring Sonic items.” You can also check out our review of Puyo Puyo Tetris right here on DualShockers.