Quake Champions Update Will Include New Map and Champion
The latest update for Quake Champions will include special Arcade Mode games, a new map called Longest Yard, and a new Champion.
During a developer live stream at PAX West, some of the changes that will be included in the Quake Champions September update later this month were shared. The update will include special Arcade Mode games with a host of balance changes, a new map, and a new Champion.
Quake Champions’ Arcade Mode games will be featured in the Play Now screen and rotate on a regular basis. Some of the game modes that will be included in Arcade Mode will be:
- Hot Rockets — All Champions will spawn with just the Rocket Launcher that has infinite ammo and Quad Damage
- Mystery Champion — Players will start with a random Champion and spawn as a different one each time they are fragged, and unlocked Champions are not off limits
- Team Instagib — One-hit-to-frag class with support for two teams of four
- Unholy Trinity — Weapon pickups are no longer on the map, but you spawn with iconic weapons including the Rocket Launcher, the Railgun, and the Lightning Gun
- Sacrifice — The Soul-seizing, Obelisk-capturing 4v4 fan favorite returns
In addition to the Arcade Mode games, a new map called Longest Yard will join the rotation of maps. Inspired by the elder god Volkerh, it has floating platforms suspended above an endless, spiraling abyss. With the new map, the classic super shot skin Painkiller from Quake II will be available in Quake Champions.
The update will also add support for Bot Backfill in matches ensuring that each match has a full roster of players to frag. It will also include Party support for all game modes.
On top of everything, the next playable combatant will be Athena. She can utilize her grappling hook to grant considerable verticality and movement, and a means to escape if she needs it. Athena will be available to try out as part of the Public Test Server in mid-September.
In case you hadn’t heard, Quake Champions is now permanently free to play on PC, and this latest update will hit the Arena later this month.