A little earlier today Activision-owned development studio Raven Software tweeted a rather telling tease over on twitter, teasing a return to the Singularity series.
— Raven Software (@RavenSoftware) March 23, 2015
It’s definitely an interesting prospect as Singularity was something of an overlooked gem when it released on the PS3, Xbox 360 and PC back in 2010.
Singularity received strong reviews and did pretty well in offering up something a little different in the first-person shooter space at a time when players were growing tired of the genre.
While the telling tweet posted earlier gave no real details or insight into what’s going on with the studio, a few job postings over on the firms LinkedIn page seem to suggest that Raven Software’s next title, whether it be a follow up to Singularity or not, will be a collaborative effort between the Raven and another of Activision’s studios.
RAVEN SOFTWARE, developer of numerous award-winning games, including contributions to the blockbuster Call of Duty franchise (Black Ops, Modern Warfare, Ghosts, Call of Duty: Online, Advanced Warfare) is seeking a passionate Gameplay Engineer to join our team to work on our next project.
• Develop, modify, and debug gameplay and related engine C/C++ code
• Develop, modify, and debug gameplay code in proprietary scripting language
• Deploy, evaluate performance, optimize and test software on PC client and server platforms
• Collaborate with other internal departments (art, design, audio, animation, QA, etc)
• Co-develop and collaborate with other Activision studios
• Document software and features for internal and external engineering teams
• Participate in the scheduling, design, performance and code review process
• Report to Gameplay Lead Engineer
• Bachelor’s degree in a Computer Science, Engineering, or Math related field
• Shipped at least one game title
• 3+ years of experience working in the game industry
• Proven ability to collaborate, coordinate, communicate and support other team members
• Experience in gameplay related fields like AI, physics, animation, weapons, scripting, networking
• Background in working in multi-threaded code
• Strong 3D math skills
• Comprehensive understanding of object-oriented programming
• Creative, motivated, focused, passionate, results-oriented
• Demonstrated ability to write efficient, clean, readable, portable, and reliable code
• Passion for games
The Ideal Candidate will also Have:
• Aptitude for game and system design
• Experience working with first-person shooter gameplay
• Background in ActionScript programming
• Experience with working with networking services like PSN, Xbox Live, or Steam
• Master’s degree with some emphasis connected to game development (AI, animation, graphics, physics, networking, etc)
• Background in Python, Perl or C# programming
Raven Software have a rich history in game development and have pumped out some real hits over the years including the X-Men: Legends games, X-Men Origins: Wolverine and of course Singularity.
In recent years Raven Software have contributed to various Call of Duty projects.
It’d be great to see Raven Software go back to premium development and another Singularity would be more than welcomed. Just please don’t let it be another remaster…