Red Dead Online Beta Update Introduces Evans Repeater from Red Dead Redemption
Red Dead Online has received an update introducing the Evans Repeater from Red Dead Redemption and activating the Fool's Gold Free Roam Event.
A surprise update for Red Dead Online brought in one of the best rifles from the original Red Dead Redemption game: the Evans Repeater.
This rifle is the “highest grade repeating rifle ever turned out by B.D. and Co. It is well known that this fine mechanized firearm requires little academic aptitude. Simply shout a sobriquet, pull the trigger and repeat.”
The Evans Repeater was a favorite of my John Marston in the original Red Dead Redemption from 2010, as its long and medium range along with high rate of fire made it very useful for taking out multiple enemies from cover. In Red Dead Online you can customize the stocks, sights, and wraps, much like every other gun in the game so it has a more personal touch. Evans Repeater is now available in the Wheeler, Rawson & Co catalogue or at any Gunsmith in-game.
Fool’s Gold, which was promised to go live as a Free Roam Event in last week’s big update, is now live and allows players to compete against one another for a set of crude gold armor that offers the most protection but makes you the number one target for others. Attempt to get the most kills while wearing the gold armor or fail trying. The quick nature of this event allows you to get some quick XP and cash as well as complete weapon, kill, and other combat-related challenges due to the centralized focus and many, many deaths this mode causes.
Some other new Free Roam Events not previously announced include:
- Cold Dead Hands: Fight for control over a target for the longest amount of time.
- Competitive Challenges: Compete to get the highest score in a given, randomly-selected challenge within a set time limit (currently includes Bow, Headshot, Horseback, Longarm, and Sidearm Kill Challenges).
- Dispatch Rider: Posses compete to be the first to deliver a horse to the assigned destination.
- King of the Castle: Compete to gain and maintain control of the castle area by staying alive inside of it – whoever controls the active area for the highest percentage of the event time wins.
- Master Archer: Compete to score the most points by hitting the most targets as accurately as you can within the time limit.
All players of Red Dead Online will be receiving a care package of various ammo/items which can be picked up at your camp’s lockbox or any post office. They are as follows:
- 60x High Velocity Pistol Ammo
- 60x High Velocity Repeater Ammo
- 2x Fire Bottles
- 8x Fire Arrows
- 2x Jolly Jack’s
- 2x Potent Horse Medicine
- 1x Lake Lure
Any player who is able to complete five Daily Challenges between now and March 11 will get a Special Spinner next week, a lure that can be used to catch any size of fish and won’t be lost if you cut the line.
Red Dead Online has been criticized in the past few weeks for the reworking of rewards for Daily Challenges and the push towards spending real money on Gold Bars, Red Dead Online‘s micro-transactions that can buy you anything you want in-game at a hefty cost. Other’s have a more “its about the journey not the destination” thought process in regards to digital rewards, although the open world of the multiplayer does not quite match the single player game Rockstar spent years overworking themselves creating.