Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Enhancements, and Content Detailed, New Screenshots Teased
This is going to be a high-quality looking yee-haw simulator.
Red Dead Redemption 2 grows closer and closer to its anticipated launch onto PC next month. We’ve seen the PC specifications that players will need in order to run the game. We’ve also seen that players will be able to pre-purchase the game for a limited time, unlocking themselves some free digital goodies. Rockstar has also revealed some details and updates surrounding the PC version of the game, as well as a handful of new screenshots.
According to Rockstar’s blog post, Red Dead Redemption 2 will take full advantage of “the power of the PC”, bringing new graphical and technical enhancements to offer deeper immersion.
Players can expect to see increased draw distances, allowing them to see more detail further out into the distance. There will also be higher quality global illumination and ambient occlusion which should improve both the day and night lighting. Snow trails will also be of higher quality, as will reflections. Shadows will also be deeper, with higher resolution shadows for all distances.
Tessellated tree textures, improved grass, and improved fur textures are also applied to the game to offer more realism. Additionally, Red Dead Redemption 2 on PC will support HDR as well as the ability to “run high-end display setups with 4K resolutions and beyond.” Players can also make use of multi-monitor and widescreen configurations.
So while those are the graphical and technical improvements heading to the game, there are also a range of content introductions heading to Red Dead Redemption 2’s story mode.
Three new bounty hunter missions are being added to the game.
- Herman Zizendorf has been stealing tools from tradesmen – track him down in Blackwater.
- Ex-Confederate Cavalry Officer Camille de Millemont is wanted dead or alive out by Catfish Jacksons, but his loyal men are never far behind.
- Bart Cavanaugh and his gang are camping out in Big Valley. Take Bart dead or alive without alerting his gang if you want to avoid a whole mess of trouble.
There are also two new gang hideouts for the Del Lobos gang available, one at Gaptooth Breach and the other at Solomon’s Folly. If hunting treasure is your thing then two new treasure maps are being added. Players will be able to search across the new Landmarks of Riches and The Elemental Trail maps. Finding the treasure will bring gold bars and other rewards.
New trinkets are being added to the game too:
- Hawk Talon – permanently decreases Stamina bar drain speed by 30% when drawing a bow
- Cat Eye – permanently increases the length of Fortifying tonic effects by 20%
- Shark Tooth – permanently increases horse bonding experience bonus by 10%
- Turtle Shell – permanently increases health bar refill speed by 10%
- Crow Beak – permanently increases looted ammo by 10%
“To The Ends of the Earth” is a new mission that will be available in Red Dead Redemption 2 which will find players gathering requested herbs that will grant them a range of rewards when completed.
Players will also get to fiddle with some new weapons that will be introduced to the story mode, three of which were previously available only through Red Dead Online.
- M1899 Pistol – all-new Semi-automatic handgun with clip loaded ammunition
- Evans Repeater – high capacity repeater (previously available in Red Dead Online only)
- High Roller Revolver – ornate double-action revolver (previously available in Red Dead Online only)
- Le Mat Revolver – powerful revolver with the ability to shoot shotgun shells (previously available in Red Dead Online only)
For those of you who like your horses, then the story mode will introduce new breeds.
- Warped Brindle Arabian – a fast and agile mount
- Few Spot Appaloosa – beautiful and hardy, ideal for cross-country journeys
- Perlino Andalusian – a healthy, sturdy animal, ideal for hunting (previously available in Red Dead Online only)
- Red Chestnut Arabian – a fleet-footed beast with a distinctive coat (previously available in Red Dead Online only)
- Plus 3 new wild horse variations – keep an eye out for wild herds featuring the Buttermilk Buckskin Kentucky Saddler, Liver Chestnut Morgan and Gold Palomino Tennessee Walker
Alongside all of these additions and enhancements, Rockstar’s blog also states that Red Dead Redemption 2 has been specifically developed to perform on a wide range of machines. I wonder if my GeForce GTX 780 would be able to handle the game…hmm. Here are some of the screenshots Rockstar has also released, and you can really see the shadows and ambient occlusion taking effect.
Red Dead Redemption 2 will launch on PC on November 5. It is available on Xbox One and PS4 and will later launch on Google Stadia.