Some people have been analyzing their butts off, but some crazy information has come out of the next Game Informer. With Joystiq, NeoGaf, and posters from the tombraider.com forums, it looks like the next Tomb Raider game is coming. Information below was put together by Joystiq, and put together from the brains of all those mentioned above.
- The current, November issue of Game Informer features the above two-page tease for its December issue stating, simply, “A survivor is born.” An accompanying website at asurvivorisborn.com (and asurvivorisborn2012.com) mirrors the tease, though it’s not clear who owns the domains.
- A NeoGAF poster pointed out that, at one point, the Google Analytics account number 6150945-XX matched that of kaneandlynch.com, minininjas.com and deusex.com — all Eidos / Square Enix titles. If correct, it appears the current asurvivorisborn.com account number of 19668291-1 was changed after being spotted.
- The image of a crashed ocean liner recalls the leaked concept art and fact sheet spotted last year (the fact sheet description is still readable at Shacknews): “When a sudden storm destroys her research vessel, a young and inexperienced Lara Croft finds herself stranded on a mysterious and remote island hidden off the shores of Japan.”
- The “survivor is born” tagline recalls the origin story description in the fact sheet: “This new Tomb Raider concept reboots the franchise by exploring the origin of Lara Croft’s transformation into a hardened adventurer as you unravel the story behind the island’s mysterious past.”
- In a 346-page thread (!) on tombraiderforums.com concerning the potential of a December 6 reveal, forum admin Justin J. Farr wrote, cryptically, “I know something you lot don’t.” That could be the meaning of his middle initial “J” or it could be the identity of Game Informer’s next cover …
Now all this is just pure speculation, but it is odd that the forum admin would say such a thing, and everything else seems to fall in place. Are we going to get a whole new full retail game? A new downloadable game? Who knows. We don’t. We’ll know soon.