SMITE’s New God Cerberus’ Skillset Is Equal Parts Bark and Bite
Smite's latest god is Hades' pet dog and he even goes as far as to outshine his master with a new unique passive and an aggressive playstyle.
As far as SMITE goes, one may even contend that Cerberus is the best boy, though Skadi, Fenrir, and Erlang Shen might have something to say about it. As the newest god to be added from the Greek pantheon, Cerberus is a guardian whose offensive kit and unique passive make him a terror on the battlefield.
You can check out the full god reveal video below as well as a list of his abilities.
Coming straight from the river Styx, Cerberus is the warden of the underworld and Hades’ personal pup, but he’s got three heads instead of one and his tail is a snake. Though currently, Cerberus may even outshine his master as Hades is also a guardian and one who has been struggling to stay relevant in the current meta, though that may change with Season 5 on the horizon.
To begin, Cerberus’ passive allows him anti-heal for enemies nearby while receiving 40 percent of the total healing intended. As this is his passive ability, Cerberus will be a thorn in the side for enemy teams building around sustain.
His first ability, Paralyzing Spit, is a projectile from his tail, though if his heads are alerted (though basic attacks or Ghastly Breath) they also fire projectiles. Ghastly Breath is a cone attack which reduces protections and slows enemies within the center of the cone, while his third ability, Soul Expulsion, allow him to pull out the souls of enemy gods and minions and kill them for health.
His ultimate is called Stygian Torment is is very similar to Ares’ ultimate but the players caught in the circle are instead placed in front of Cerberus instead of on top of him. I can’t wait for montages of Cerberus throwing entire SMITE teams into the fountain to start popping up.
- “Spirit of Death”
- Any time an Enemy God within 40 of Cerberus is healed, that healing is Cerberus receives 40% of the heal, and the Enemy’s heal is reduced by 20%.
- First Ability:
- “Paralyzing Spit”
- Cerberus’s snake tail spits venom that passes through and damages Enemies. If Cerberus’s dog heads are Alert, they then also spit venom when the ability is fired. Each head is alerted upon hitting an Enemy with a Basic Attack, and all are alerted after Ghastly Breath. Each projectile that hits the same target deals 20% less damage, but hitting an Enemy with all 4 Stuns them.
- Second Ability:
- “Ghastly Breath”
- Each of Cerberus’s 3 heads releases a cone of noxious breath in front of them, damaging all enemies in range 7 times over 2.4s and reducing their Protections up to three times. Enemies in the center of his breath are also Slowed up to three times. This attack immediately puts all three of Cerberus’s heads on Alert for Paralyzing Spit.
- Third Ability:
- “Soul Expulsion”
- Cerberus leaps a short distance forward, dealing damage on impact and severing the souls of Enemies. These souls will not block Cerberus’s attacks, and killing the souls heals Cerberus.
- Fourth Ability (Ultimate):
- “Stygian Torment”
- Cerberus’s haunting wail summons below him the souls of the damned, which then lift all Enemy Gods into the air while stretching the link between their bodies and souls, damaging them. A short time later, Cerberus uses his link to pull enemies to him.
Hi-Rez Expo has wrapped up and so is this year’s world SMITE championship. You can read more about this new season’s upcoming changes here. If you weren’t able to attend the event you can still gawk at some of this year’s cosplay here.