During the launch ceremony of the PS4, SCE Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida teased an unannounced PS4 project by Sony’s Oregon-based Bend Studio, but we didn’t hear anything about it since.
Today a career opportunity ad from Sony seeking a Senior Staff Animator for the studio gives us a glimpse on what we can presume to expect from the animation of the new game:
Animate characters, weapons, vehicles and everything else that moves in a game. Create sophisticated character performances for in game and cinematic sequences including acting, facial animation and lip-syncing. Expert understanding of human, animal, object motion, weight, and timing applied to 3D animation. Help develop and drive the look and feel for the all animation within a game that matches the artistic style and gameplay defined by the studio leads.
Principle Duties / Responsibilities:
• Help drive the implementation of all in-game animation.
• Work with programmers and leads to develop game animation pipelines and processes.
• Create high quality animation content, primarily characters, objects, and creatures.
• Expert understanding of all animation and motion capture workflows.
• Expert knowledge of Motion Builder, Maya, Max and other animation applications.
• At least 5 years of game art production or film related experience
• One or two years of post-high school education or training
Preferred Experience / Education:
• 6 to 10 years of game art production with credit on several shipped AAA titles.
• An advanced degree or professional certification requiring formal training (i.e., MBA, MFA, MA, MS)
The ad definitely seeks a very high profile professional in the animation field, and describes a very cinematic approach to game design. It also talks about vehicles, weapons and “creatures,” possibly implying that those elements will be in the game as well.
Of course we should treat this with a grain of salt until Sony decides to make an official announcement describing the game, but what we read from this ad is definitely promising on Bend Studio’s ambitions for their upcoming game.