PlayStation 3 Production Officially Over In Japan; it’s the End of an Era
PlayStation 3 production in Japan has officially ended, marking the end of the console's lifespan.
All good things must come to an end eventually.Sony made official the end end of the production of the PlayStation 3 in Japan.
The 500GB Standard PS3 was the only model still in production in Japan, and that has ended. The official Japanese PlayStation page for the unit has changed its details to list shipments as “shipment complete”. This is standard when the console goes out of production, and this now marks the end of the lifespan for the PlayStation 3 console in the country. The console first launched in Japan and North America in November 2006, so a ten and a half year life span is quite impressive.
Sales number have the PS3 selling just over 80 million units in its lifespan, and it pretty much sold identical numbers to the Xbox 360 in roughly the same time period (Xbox 360 launched a year earlier). As respectable as these numbers are, they don’t hold a candle to PS2 sales which have amassed over 150 million units sold. The PS4 is still young at only three and a half years old. Having already surpassed 50 million units sold itself, there is a very good chance it can pass the number of units its PS3 counterpart reeled in.
There comes a time when every cowboy must ride off into the sunset, and it just happened for the PS3. A total of 21 games launched with the PS3 back in 2006, and the list below is sure to bring back some nostalgic memories.
- Resistance: Fall of Man – Sony –
- NBA 07 – Sony –
- Genji: Days of the Blade – Sony –
- Blazing Angels Squadrons of WWII – Ubisoft
- Call of Duty 3 – Activision
- EA Sports Fight Night Round 3 – Electronic Arts
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion – Bethesda Softworks
- F.E.A.R. – Vivendi Universal Games
- Full Auto 2: Battlelines – Sega
- Madden NFL 07 – Electronic Arts
- MARVEL: ULTIMATE ALLIANCE – Activision e
- Mobile Suit Gundam: CROSSFIRE – NAMCO BANDAI Games
- NBA 2K7 – 2K Sports – Find Best Price
- Need For Speed Carbon – Electronic Arts
- NHL 2K7 – 2K Sports
- RIDGE RACER 7 – NAMCO BANDAI Games
- Sonic the Hedgehog – Sega –
- Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 – Electronic Arts
- Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Vegas – Ubisoft
- Tony Hawk’s Project 8 – Activision –
- Untold Legends Dark Kingdom – Sony Online Entertainment