Splatoon 2 February Update - What Are the Changes?
Grab your paint, Inklings, a surprise Splatoon 2 update is here.
The Splatoon series is one of Nintendos newest IPs of the last several years. Luckily, it’s been received well and has two installments with a third on the way for 2022. With the recent announcement of Splatoon 3 during last week’s Nintendo Direct, a Splatoon 2 update comes as something of a surprise. Tomorrow, an update for the game goes live with a bevy of changes and rebalancing. Here’s all you need to know about the Splatoon 2 update 5.4.0.
Attention, worldwide squid researchers!#Splatoon3 was just announced via video transmission. It doesn’t launch for some time, but we learned some fascinating ecological details: a new Inkling & Octoling habitat has been discovered! And it seems quite different than Inkopolis… pic.twitter.com/7YGu7qqUZR
— Nintendo of America (@NintendoAmerica) February 17, 2021
The seemingly biggest changes to the game are some rebalancing to the weapons. The Splattershot, Tentatek Splattershot, Kensa Splattershot, Hero Shot Replica, and Octoshot Replica are all receiving buffs in the form of the increased likelihood that “the turf around your feet will be inked when firing.” Frustratingly, Nintendo doesn’t specify how just how much that likelihood has increased.
The .52 Gal, .52 Gal Deco, and Kensa .52 Gal have all been buffed by increasing “the radius of ink that lands when you shoot far away by roughly 27%.”
A major weapon nerf comes in the form of ink consumption. Starting tomorrow, the H-3 Nozzlenose, H-3 Nozzlenose D, and the Cherry H-3 Nozzlenose will all consume roughly 25% more ink.
Here’s the list of “other changes” from Nintendo’s website:
- We observed changes after the distribution of Ver 5.3.0 and made adjustments to slightly lower the fighting power of certain weapons that could hold the battle line over a long period of time from further away compared to other weapons.
- In addition, in order to increase the variety of weapons being selected, we made adjustments to several weapons to increase their competitiveness with the most popular weapons.
- We will observe the changes after this update and make further adjustments to Splatoon 2 in the future.
- When you download the latest update data, you will no longer be able to communicate in The Shoal with players using older update data.
- This update also includes changes not listed here, such as improvements to the gameplay experience.
- Sufficient space on the internal system memory or a microSD card is required to download the update.
- Save data will still be available for use after downloading the update.