Spyro Reignited Trilogy Update Finally Adds Subtitles to Cutscenes
Following noticeable backlash in late 2018, Toys for Bob and Activision finally added subtitles to cinematics in Spyro Reignited Trilogy.
While Spyro Reignited Trilogy was met with positive reception upon its release, there was one glaring omission: the lack of subtitles in the game’s cutscenes. When asked about their exclusion around the game’s launch, Activision stated that “there’s no industry standard for subtitles” to the dismay of many. This whole controversy led DualShockers to discuss why subtitles should have been included and explain how subtitles are implemented into games.
Activision has stayed fairly quiet on the whole issues since that initial statement, which made some believe that developer Toys for Bob and Activision were just moving on and hoping for the whole thing to blow over. Fortunately, that was not the case as Spyro Reignited Trilogy received cutscene subtitles in a new update today.
As spotted by Wario 64, Toys for Bob and Activision released Update 1.03 on PS4 and Update 1.02 on Xbox One today, with both including the same changes. Front in center in the patch notes is that fact that there are now “added subtitles in all languages (across all three games) for previously unsupported cinematics.” These subtitles include character headers so players will know who is speaking as well as “succinct line splits” and “colored text” that will make them easier to read.
If you prefer to play your games without any subtitles, it is an option that can be toggled on an off. While they should have been in the game at launch, it is great to see that Toys for Bob and Activision took the backlash into account and eventually made Spyro Reignited Trilogy more inclusive by adding subtitles. Hopefully, subtitles will become a standard for future Activision titles.
While cinematic subtitles are certainly the biggest addition, this patch also includes another notable tweak and some bug fixes. For players who don’t like motion blur, it can now be toggled on and off at any time in the options menu. Several progression, camera, and performance bugs have also been fixed. You can check out the whole list of patch notes for yourself below:
- Added subtitles in all languages (across all three games) for previously unsupported cinematics, including:
- Character headers to identify active speakers
- Succinct line splits for readability
- Colored text for improved character association in most languages
- Subtitle on/off toggle added under the Options menu
- Added an option to toggle motion blur on/off under the Options → Camera menu
- Fixed progression and completion bugs impacting Wizard Peak, Hurricos, Fracture Fills, Lost Fleet, Fireworks Factory, and Charmed Ridge
- Fixed camera bugs in Sgt. Byrd’s Base and Dino Mines
- Stability improvement fix in Spider Town
- Additional misc. bug-fixes and improvements impacting Glimmer and Ripto’s Arena
Spyro Reignited Trilogy is available now for PC, PS4, and Xbox One. If the addition of subtitles has finally inspired you to pick the game up, you can currently do so on Amazon.