Square-Enix's "Project X" is Dungeon Siege III
I don’t know if this would be classified as “shocking” or not, but to each their own. Today Square-Enix announced a partnership with Obsidian Entertainment to bring Dungeon Siege III to, not only the PC, but the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, as well. The Dungeon Siege franchise includes a series of Western-style RPGs and everything that comes with that territory. The last title in the franchise was released on 2005, developed by Gas Powered Games.
It turns out those guys will be heading up this project, so they will still be involved, but the heavy development falls to Obsidian Entertainment (the same developer behind the upcoming Fallout: New Vegas). This was once a PC-only franchise but, seeing as how Square-Enix is doing the publishing this time around, it will be going multi-platform. After the break you’ll see more details about Dungeon Siege III, straight from the press release.
Torn asunder, the delicate balance of power between the kingdom of Ehb’s powerful factions has fallen apart. As one of the few remaining members of the disgraced protectors of the land, the 10th Legion, it is up to you to rebuild the once great Legion and stop Ehb from falling into darkness. Joined by a group of unique companions, you will travel through the striking land of Ehb defeating all manner of villains and beasts through a combination of heroic abilities, screen shaking magic and pure cunning.
DUNGEON SIEGE 3 seamlessly blends intuitive action gameplay, a robust RPG system featuring a large selection of abilities, an extensive multiplayer component and the depth of story Square Enix and Obsidian Entertainment are known for creating.
- For the first time, play DUNGEON SIEGE on high-def consoles.
- Players will be able to adventure by themselves or with friends in co-op multiplayer.
- Uncover a deep story that only Square Enix and Obsidian Entertainment can deliver.
- Pick from unique and highly customizable character classes with a wide range of abilities to choose from.
- Recruit companions with unique personalities, abilities and views on the world around them.
- Players will have weighty decisions to make that will impact their alliances, enemies and the culmination of the story
Check out the first screenshots below. A couple of them kind of look like artwork, but they are pretty cool nonetheless!