Star Wars: Battlefront Shipped Over 14 Million Units; Electronic Arts Releases Financial Results
Electronic Arts just released its quarterly financial results for the period between January 1st and March 31st, 2016, and for the full fiscal year.
We also get a series of highlights from the company’s performance in the latest quarter, including the fact that Star Wars: Battlefront shipped over 14 million units:
- EA was the #1 publisher on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One consoles in the Western World for fiscal year 2016 based on available sources and EA estimates.
- EA was also the #1 most downloaded mobile game publisher in calendar year 2015, according to App Annie.
- More than 54 million unique players engaged with our EA SPORTS™ console titles during fiscal year 2016, up 65% from last year.
- Star Wars Battlefront expanded our player base as more than 15% of Star Wars Battlefront players were new to the EA ecosystem.
- In Q4, there were 9.4 million unique players across EA’s Battlefield titles.
- The Sims 4 player base grew by nearly two-thirds throughout the fiscal year, and The Sims FreePlay on mobile reached 200 million installs life-to-date.
- Madden NFL Mobile monthly active players grew 30% in Q4 over the same quarter last year.
- Star Wars Battlefront, a successful new franchise, sold in more than 14 million units in fiscal year 2016.
The press release included a comment by Chief Executive Officer Andrew Wilson:
“FY16 was a phenomenal year for Electronic Arts as we connected hundreds of millions of players to great new games, and helped them connect with each other through rich and dynamic live services. The year ahead is packed with excitement. Fans are thrilled with the intense action and epic scale of Battlefield 1, our EA SPORTS titles will take major leaps in innovation, and we’ll bring new experiences from our most popular brands to more players on more devices.”
Chief Financial Officer Blake Jorgensen also commented:
“We grew non-GAAP net revenue, profitability and cash flow to record highs. Leveraging our great portfolio of brands and live services has enabled us to break records across our key financial metrics. We expect to drive strong revenue, earnings and cash flow growth into the future.”
The company also released the outlook for the current quarter and fiscal year:
Fiscal Year 2017 Expectations – Ending March 31, 2017
- GAAP net revenue is expected to be approximately $4.750 billion.
- Non-GAAP net revenue is expected to be approximately $4.900 billion.
- GAAP diluted earnings per share is expected to be approximately $2.53.
- Non-GAAP diluted earnings per share is expected to be approximately $3.50.
- Operating cash flow is expected to be approximately $1.300 billion.
First Quarter Fiscal Year 2017 Expectations – Ending June 30, 2016
- GAAP net revenue is expected to be approximately $1.250 billion.
- Non-GAAP net revenue is expected to be approximately $640 million.
- GAAP diluted earnings per share is expected to be approximately $1.30.
- Non-GAAP loss per share is expected to be approximately ($0.05).