We know that Sucker Punch is working on a new PS4 game, and looks like it’s going to involve a third person view point and to allow us to throw some punches around, as revealed by a new career opportunity ad seeking a combat designer.
We’re looking for a combat designer who knows how to throw a good digital punch (and make it feel realistic viz-a-viz a game controller). If you’ve got at least one shipped AAA title where you were instrumental in the design its 3rd person melee system, please send us your resume. We’ll read it, talk to you on the phone, laugh at your jokes, and hopefully start giving you money in exchange for your combat design expertise.
- Be the driving force behind melee design at Sucker Punch.
- Collaborate effectively with contributing teams members (code, animation, sound); helping to bring together all the best ideas into one functioning whole.
- Create well defined tasks with clear deadlines for contributing team members.
- Provide crisp feedback in order to quickly iterate on concepts, proposing solutions as well as criticisms.
- Playtest melee concepts (both internally and externally), then interpret results and make changes.
- Participate in the larger scope of the game’s design (contributing without being asked) with an eye towards making the best possible complete experience.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a strike team from various skillsets (code, animation, sound).
- At least 4 years of game design production experience.
- Demonstrated ability as the driving force on a AAA 3rd person melee combat system.
- (Please send us a link to a video showing off that combat system)
- Position is currently open to those eligible to work in the States, and willing to relocate to Bellevue, WA.
Considering that we already know that the new game is going to be narrative-driven and open world, add to it third person, melee combat and the “triple A” nature, and it definitely looks like Sucker Punch is sticking to what it does best.
We still don’t know if the title will be another inFAMOUS, or an entirely new IP, but it definitely will share some relevant elements with the studio’s most popular franchise.