Super Mario Odyssey Sold 63,538 Copies Digitally in Japan in October; Gran Turismo Sport Sold 35,401
Digital sales for Super Mario Odyssey and Gran Turismo Sport in Japan in October have been revealed. Only one of them performed impressively.
The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu included the magazine’s digital figures on the Japanese market for the month of October (between September 25th and October 29th). Among other things, this gives us the opportunity to fully gauge initial sales of Super Mario Odyssey and Gran Turismo Sport, since Media Create does not count digital sales.
Below you can find the top-10 ranking for the digital markets, alongside the percentage of digital sales.
- Dead Rising (PS4) – 74,415 (99.8%)
- Pokémon Gold & Silver – 65,720 (64.1%)
- Super Mario Odyssey – 63,538 (11.0%)
- Gran Turismo Sport (PS4)- 35,401 (18.7%)
- ARK: Survival Evolved (PS4)- 20,941 (22.4%)
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III (PS4)- 20,332 (14.4%)
- FIFA 18 (PS4)- 20,072 (19.1%)
- Splatoon 2 – 16,172 (13.8%)
- City Shrouded in Shadows (PS4)- 12,966 (19.7%)
- Itadaki Street: Dragon Quest &Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary (PS4)- 12,627 (20.5%)
Dead Rising‘s success was a bit of an aberration due to an aggressive sale for PlayStation Plus users. Pokémon Gold and Pokémon Silver ranked second with 65,720 copies sold digitally, which is way over half of the total (102,544 copies during the examined period).
Super Mario Galaxy sold a nice 63,538 copies digitally in two days, even if that was just 11% of the total (575,163 copies), with Nintendo Switch users still leaning heavily towards physical purchases.
When Media Create argued that Gran Turismo Sport‘s sales in Japan were a bit disappointing compared with its predecessors, some argued that digital sales might change the picture. Unfortunately, this is not the case. The game sold only 35,401 copies digitally in its first ten days. Interestingly, the 18.7% digital share is also fairly low compared to the usual PS4 figures.
The total for the first ten days on the market is 189,048. This is still behind the first week of physical retail only sales of Gran Turismo 6 (204,784 copies) and less than half the same metric for Gran Turismo 5 for PS3 (430,707 copies).